Password

Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
Contributor
ansarkp

How can i download impact software alone and install it on my PC

Hi

I have a configuration file(.jed) file for Xilinx CPLD. i want to test this file on the board using impact software through jtag cable. but for that i need to have the entire ISE sotware which is around 2.5GB. i know i can install the standalone tools alone. even for that i have to download the entire 2.5GB. this may take very long time. is there any alternative for this where i can download and install only impact.

Thanks in Advance,

Srikanth

Super Contributor
sonicwave

Re: How can i download impact software alone and install it on my PC

You can download the "Lab Tools" package, which only includes Impact and ChipScope. For some reason it's an 750 MB download, but it's still better than 3 GB...

Expert Contributor
gszakacs

This is one place where I think Xilinx could clearly do better.  Although it's nice to have

a package including all of the "lab" tools, just the programming tools are quite

frequently used stand-alone.  Lattice has it's ispVM download (their version of impact)

and it's only about 20 MB and not tied to any particular version of the development

software.  Not only are the Xilinx lab tools a 750 MB download, but they unpack to something

over 2 GB when installed.  This can be painful on an aging PC sitting in production that

exists solely to program on-board parts.  We find we are doing more and more on-board

programming due to shrinking packages that are hard to deal with on a production

programmer.  Clearly the production department doesn't need to use ChipScope

or the other development tools.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
Contributor
ansarkp

Thanks for your reply. That means from Xilinx 750mb is minimum.

hi  can u give me more details about lattice tools. does it detects Xilinx devices in the JTAG chain? were they compatable with XIlinx USB JTAG cable.

can u give me the link if it is compatable with Xilinx Devices and JTAG

Thank u

Expert Contributor
gszakacs

I was just using Lattice Semiconductor as a reference.  Their tools are made to run with

their own parallel port or USB adapters and for their parts.  It may be possible to program

a Xilinx part using Lattice tools by playing back an .svf file, but I haven't tried that myself.

Although Lattice Semi has been in the programmable logic arena for many years,

they have only more recently come into the FPGA arena.  However their software

tools are considered as a strong competition to those available from Xilinx or

Altera in terms of ease of use and reliability.  I find that I use Xilinx parts more because

of the features of the silicon itself, not necessarily because I like the tools.

-- Gabor