Username

Password

Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
Expert Contributor
buddha1987

How to assign pins in UCF file?

I am a beginner to use Xilinx FPGA. I try to use UCf file to do pin assignments. I just want to make whether I should use these commands:

NET "Pin1" IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS25;
NET "Pin1" LOC = A9;

What is the mean of the first command? 

And whether these commands work for both Verilog and VHDL design? If somebody can give a link to show demos in UCF constrain, that will be great.

Thanks very much.

Expert Contributor
eteam00

Re: How to assign pins in UCF file?

Have you read the sticky README thread in the New Users Forum?  There should be links to tutorials for beginners, which may be helpful to you.

I use a text editor for editing .UCF file.  The PLANAHEAD program is a glossy windows app for editing the signal and location constraints ad assignments in the .UCF file.  You will most likely prefer.Planahead.  There is a user manual for Planahead, I believe.

The first line specifies a signaling standard for the IO signal named "Pin1".  The signaling standard is 2.5V Low Voltage CMOS.  If you look in the IO User Guide for the device family you are using, you should see descriptions of the available signaling standards.

The.UCF file uses a Xilinx-developed syntax which is neither Verilog nor VHDL.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
Expert Contributor
buddha1987

Thanks very much, I will read the README thread. I prefer to edit UCF file directly in ISE instead of using PlanAhead to do pin assignments. Is that all constrains for Xilinx FPGA design can be wrote in UCF file ( like time constrain) ?. What is the difference between UCF and XCF?

Thanks.
Xilinx Employee
barriet

[ Edited ]

ucf is for implementation, e.g. ngdbuild/translate.

xcf is an optional constraint for file XST synthesis.

You may find this useful:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_2/cgd.pdf (Xilinx Constraints Guide)

Cheers,

bt

Super Contributor
code_slave

It means that if you are not very careful and FULLY understand the relationship between *.ucf /VHDL/ Verilog and outside world.

you can destroy your FPGA!!!!