07-06-2012 04:13 AM
I have a spartan 3 xc3s400 FPGA as well as xc9572 CPLD boards(meant for education purpose).
I am using windows xp.
I am using Xilinx ISE 9.2i
When I press initialize chain button in impact tool some popup
"There are many unknown devices being detected. Press yes to continue
or Press NO to stop"
If I say yes. PC become non responsive
If I say no it gives an error => ERROR: IMPACT:585 A problem may exist
in the hardware configuration. Check that the cable, scan chain, ............
07-06-2012 05:35 AM
This error generally means that there is a break in the JTAG chain somewhere causing
the TDO to continuously shift out garbage - interpreted as "many unknown devices."
The problem can be in the cable or on the board. Usually the break is in the data chain
TDI to TDO through the various chips, however it may be possible for a misconnected
TMS or TCK signal to cause this, too.
Is this board your own design or is it a commercially available eval board or kit?
07-07-2012 01:54 AM
it is commercial board.
supplied by a educational kit provider.
as far as i know no one has used it till date.
with the same JTAG connector i connected another board and it's working fine..
07-07-2012 08:57 AM
Have you contacted the supplier or manufacturer of the kit for assistance? The problem may be as simple as a missing jumper.
-- Bob Elkind
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.