Username

Password

Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
ultimatepichu

Xilinx ISE 14.2 and Windows 8

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the latest version of ISE (14.2) with Windows 8. Currently I'm running on a Windows 8 (full, from msdnaa for students) with Xilinx ISE 14.2 successfully  installed.

The problem is that ISE Project Navigator closes itself whenever I choose "open project". As alternative I tried to migrate another project from older version (9.2.04i) and it opened successfully. But ISE closes itself again when I tried to "add copy of source" or "add source" to the migrated project. That makes the whole thing kind of pointless again.

In this both cases I noticed in Windows Task Manager that the file "_pn.exe" is still running in the background.

Anyone has this problem?

Is it an OS problem? or is it a multi-version of Xilinx that caused this (I have both 14.2 and 9.2.04i installed, the latter because of statediagramm)? 

Xilinx Employee
howardp

Re: Xilinx ISE 14.2 and Windows 8

ISE DS 14.2 is not tested or supported on Windows 8 so I can't say for sure.  However, the actions you've described that are having problems are related to browse and wizard functions where the base code used to develop have traditionally been quite OS dependant.

One thing that I would try is to turn off the New Project Wizard

From Project Navigator select Edit -> Preferences.  and find the preference under ISE General.  This should change the registry setting at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xilinx\ISE\14.2\Project Navigator\Project Manager\Preferences\UseNewProjectWizard

You could also try using the Tcl command to add files and create a new project. from the Tcl console.

Example:

Project new myproj

xfile add C:/sources/*.v

ultimatepichu

hi howardp,

thanks for the reply. My knowledge on ISE is limited as I'm just a student doing bachelor thesis.

Anyway, the method to turn off New Project Wizard doesn't solve the problem.

About tcl console, I don't know how to do it. Can you please guide me?

thank you once again in advance!

Xilinx Employee
howardp

1) Make sure the Tcl console is viewable; View -> Panels -> Tcl Console

2a) In the Tcl concole type the commands mentioned in the previous post

2b) Alternatively, create a script and then just source the script in the Tcl counsole (e.g. source my_script.tcl)

Attached, is an example script used to create one of the example projects.  It creates the project, sets the part and adds some files and sets parameters that are not default values.

For more information on specific Tcl instructions and suggestions for usage, see the “Tcl Reference” chapter of the Command Line Tools User Guide (UG628).

ultimatepichu

alright thanks for the help. :) I'll try that tonight!

Visitor
pg177

Hey man!
I had the same issues. Then i realized i had no problem with the 32-bit Project Navigator. Except it is slower.

athandr

Hi,

WIndows 8 is at present unsupported with any version of ISE. Hence one option would be to run the tool in compatibility mode. Create a ISE 14.2 shortcut on your desktop. Right click it to find the project navigator properties. In this check under compatibility for "Run In Compatibility Mode for" and check it.

Just try changing the compatibility mode to Earlier versions of WIndows like Windows7 and Windows XP  or Vista.

Let me know if you were successful with this try..

Cheers

Anirudh

PAE

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided to the solution.
Visitor
pg177

iSim not working in 32-bit version. xp, vista, 7 compatibility mode, nothing.

Visitor
pg177

anyone got working ISE version on windows 8?

athandr

Hi pg177,

Presently Xilinx ISE does not have support for Windows 8 as it is very new. It can be supported in future versions of ISE. To know the supportable Operating systems find the Pg 30 of the Release Notes Guide of ISE 14.2 which is the latest version. http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_2/irn.pdf

Thanks

Anirudh

PAE

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided to the solution.