Password

Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
Super Contributor
gh43m

The best VHDL book ever read

Dear friends,

Please tell me what's the best VHDL book you've ever read and why is that the best??

Thanks.

Expert Contributor
bassman59

Re: The best VHDL book ever read

gh43m wrote:

Dear friends,

Please tell me what's the best VHDL book you've ever read and why is that the best??

Thanks.

It should come as no surprise to the regulars here that I like Peter Ashenden's book Designer's Guide To VHDL.

Of course there are others.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I do this for a living.
Xilinx Employee
scampbell

I think this depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the book. Are you learning digital design using VHDL? Or, do you know digital design but need to understand how to accomplish that design with VHDL?

If you are learning digital design along with VHDL, then I think this book is good as it provides many examples of how to write common digital design constructs such as memories, arithmetic, logic ... The device is a bit old in terms of Xilinx products, but the fundamentals are the same, and device independent. I believe there is a verilog version as well.

http://www.amazon.com/FPGA-Prototyping-VHDL-Examples-Spartan-3/dp/0470185317/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350924582&sr=1-3&keywords=vhdl

If you already know digital design, then I think a reference book is appropriate, and the one Bassman recommends is the best in my opinion as well.

OK, hope this helps,

Scott

Expert Contributor
rcingham

bassman59 wrote:

gh43m wrote:

Dear friends,

Thanks.

It should come as no surprise to the regulars here that I like Peter Ashenden's book Designer's Guide To VHDL.

Of course there are others.

I concur.

But I don't know what would be best for someone trying to learn VHDL and digital design at the same time. I learnt VHDL after I was well practised in digital design.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
Super Contributor
gh43m

Dear friends,

Thank all of you for answering.

I've searched on the internet, most of the guys has offer the book "designer's guide to VHDL".  So I'm getting eager to read that book. Actually, I have the 2008 version, (the third edition). insinde that, it seems to teach VHDL2008, although the difference between 2008 and 93 has been mentioned. Actually I think the VHDL93 will be the version which will be used by xilinx for the following years, cuz all the user guides written by xilinx are VHDL93, don't you think so??

I want to learn both digital design and VHDL in more details, especially, I want to know more about the timing constraints, the reports generated by ISE, what makes the codes to be able to operate in higher frequency (the higher maximum frequency), what affects them and this kind of stuff.

If you know any others books spoken about this kind of stuff, please let me know.

Regards,

Ghasem

Regular Visitor
bmarsolais

Peter Ashenden's book is the most comprehensive, thorough treatment, but it is massive.  If you're new to VHDL, I'd suggest a two phase approach.  First, read "Essential VHDL: RTL Synthesis Done Right" by Sundar Rajan.  It is more concise, but a very sufficient first pass and will get you writing good VHDL much quicker than try to learn the first time with Ashenden's book.  But definitely get Ashenden's book.  It is a complete reference and sooner or later you will need it.

Expert Contributor
rcingham

> but it is massive

I do not consider a book only about 3cm thick as massive! It's less than a thousand pages...

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
Visitor
fabrizio_tappero

Learning VHDL is not so easy and that is because VHDL is a hardware descriptive language. There are loads of books out there, some are good, some are not so good and some are great.

I personally would beging with Free Range VHDL. It is an open-source book, you can get the PDF for free and, if there is something that you do not like, you can download the TEX files, modified them and contact the authors. 

Additionally, when you learn VHDL you will need to use some sort of software tool to write, simulate and syntesize your code. Boot is an open-source option of this.

Once you have done all that, you will want to buy a small (or big) FPGA board and use your code to program it. Well The XuLa board is an open-source solution for it.

Best Regards

Fabrizio

Xilinx Employee
syedz

[ Edited ]

VHDL: Programming by Example by Douglas perry.

But I think VHDL can be best learnt by writing small programs and go on to implement something like FIFO,UART etc...

I recommend you to practice VHDL programming by downloading Webpack edition of ISE which is free from Xilinx.

You can download it from below link

http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm

ISE WebPACK is the ideal downloadable solution for FPGA and CPLD design offering HDL synthesis and simulation, implementation, device fitting, and JTAG programming.

Regards,

Syed 

Regular Visitor
jamieson

Another vote for:

Essential VHDL : RTL Synthesis Done Right Paperback
by Sundar Rajan

This book is well written and uses good VHDL coding techniques.  A large portion of the VHDL statements should never be used when writing code for synthesis and this book does a good job steering the reader towards statements and constructs that work, and he shows how these statements translate into RTL.

I think this has been out of print for some time, but still available used online.  This book was included in the box when I bought the Synplify tool circa 2000!