05-24-2012 09:42 PM
I want to display an image in spartan 3E fgpa board. I generated vsync and hsync pulse with clock frequency and tested interface with 3bit(RGB). But image (color) is 24 bit. i would like to know how 24 bit is compatible with 3bit? . Hoping for the
Solved! Go to Solution.
05-24-2012 11:15 PM - edited 05-25-2012 02:30 AM
I want to display an image in spartan 3E fgpa board.
You are using the Spartan-3e Starter Kit board. Have you read the User Guide (UG230) for this board? The VGA output port is described in chapter 6.
I generated vsync and hsync pulse with clock frequency and tested interface with 3bit(RGB). But image (color) is 24 bit.
The S-3e Starter Kit board has only 1 FPGA output pin driving each of the 3 colour channels. This provides 2**3 (=8) combinations of these 3 bits, which translate to 8 different colours on the VGA output. This is summarised in Table 6-1 of the User Guide. If you need 24-bit colour, you will need a different board.
24-bit colour is implemented as 8-bit values for each colour channel (R,G,B), providing 256 (2**8) levels for each of the 3 colour channels (R,G,B). These 8-bit values are converted to an analogue VGA video level with an 8-bit Digital-to-Analogue Converter (DAC). A separate DAC is required for each of the 3 VGA colour channels. The S3e Starter Kit board design does not include the DACs required to support 24-bit video output.
-- Bob Elkind
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.