Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
Visitor
dmolla
Accepted Solution

PCIe Vendor Defined Message from intel 0x80

Hello,

I'm developing a PCI Express device (on FPGA), and I've noticed that the device is receiving Vendor Defined Message TLP packets (code 0x7f, Vendor Defined Type 1) with Vendor ID 0x8086 and with the forth DW ("For Vendor Definition") containing the value 0x00000080.

My question is simply: What does it mean? What is the chipset trying to tell me?

Intel doesn't provide any information about its vendor defined message.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Expert Contributor
evgenis1

Re: PCIe Vendor Defined Message from intel 0x80

Hi Daniel,

Just read the PCIe spec about what a PCIe device should do with a vendor-specific message. Here are a couple of things:

"...Receivers silently discard Vendor_Defined Type 1 Messages which they are not designed toreceive – this is not an error condition"

"...Receivers handle the receipt of an unsupported Vendor_Defined Type 0 Message as anUnsupported Request, and the error is reported according to..."

Thanks,

Evgeni

Visitor
dmolla

[ Edited ]

Hello Evgeni,

Thank you for your reply. I had already read this in the standard but I do not see how can we know whether or not it is designed to receive such a message ? What are the devices designed to receive these messages ?

Thanks,

Daniel

Expert Contributor
evgenis1

Hi Daniel,

Well, in this specific example devices that have Vendor ID 0x8086 (which is Intel),  Vendor Defined Type 1 and code 0x7f will do something with this message (or all devices that know what this message means). Everybody else will discard it.

Thanks,

Evgeni