Username

Password

Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
andresfe24

How to compile own library on ISE 11

Hello,

I have been trying to compile a library which I created myself defining some tyes, subtypes and functions that I need. When I create a file of type library in the project, I can add packages and it works fine ( I can even refer to my library and the compiler does not complain).

The problem is that I have not been able to compile the library so that it is available outside the project. I need to use it in some other projects too.

Thank you in advance for any help.

ANDRES

Super Contributor
woutersj

Re: How to compile own library on ISE 11

Hi,

I suppose you are doing a VHDL project and you edited the files from the ISE GUI? Check in the project directory for any VHDL files (.vhd) and copy those to your new project.

What could be better in the long run is to just edit HDL files from a regular editor and check what ISE puts in the .xcf, .ucf, .prj files. All this can be used in command line mode and this can be a much faster way to create and maintain projects, especially if you also want to target different parts etc. Toss in something like Cygwin on Windows and Makefiles and you can create avery flexible and maintainable environment.

Cheers,

Johan

andresfe24

Hello,

Thank you for your response; and yes, I was editing the files from the ISE GUI.

That is kind of what I have been doing. I copy all the files that I need to my project and from there I work with them. I guess it also gives me more flexibility to make specific changes in case that I need to (if they were in a library referenced by many other projects, all those would be affected by the changes).

ANDRES
Super Contributor
woutersj

Hi,

Just in case you are new to hardware and software development: have a look at a revision control system such as CVS, SVN, GIT, ... You can keep your HDL text file library under revision control (and probably your whole project for that matter).

What could be very handy at some time is access to a formal equivalence checker tool. If you change or add anything to the library, you can quickly verify that the HDL behavior hasn't changed without having to redo all your simulations.

Cheers,

Johan