Password

Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
Visitor
cs00brp

Artix-7 estimated shipping date.

Hi. 

I have a current FPGA design based on a spartan 3AN and I was going to upgrade it to the spartan6.  But now that they annouced the Artix-7 I might wait for it.  So the question, roughly guessing when will the first chips will show up.  I only need small quatities to start with for the development.

Thanks Bren

Xilinx Employee
mcgett

Re: Artix-7 estimated shipping date.

There is no publically announced date for Artix-7 device availability. 

If you are starting new product development in the near future with Spartan class requirements I would suggest that you use the Spartan-6 family of FPGAs.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
Expert Contributor
bassman59

cs00brp wrote:

Hi. 

I have a current FPGA design based on a spartan 3AN and I was going to upgrade it to the spartan6.  But now that they annouced the Artix-7 I might wait for it.

You will wait a long time.

The rule is: never design with a product that you can't buy in small quantities from the DigiKey catalog.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I do this for a living.
Regular Visitor
jcabel

Me too follow the rule of not designing (for home projects) if I can't get all the parts easily.

Fortunately, most Xilinx parts are available from Digikey, Farnell, Avnet express, Mouser, etc.

Where I find the biggest problem is in economical, prototype quantity, multilayer fine PCB maker and assembly.

Expert Contributor
bassman59

jcabel wrote:

Me too follow the rule of not designing (for home projects) if I can't get all the parts easily.

Fortunately, most Xilinx parts are available from Digikey, Farnell, Avnet express, Mouser, etc.

Where I find the biggest problem is in economical, prototype quantity, multilayer fine PCB maker and assembly.

You missed my point, which has nothing to do with home hobby projects.

We have this rule because the last thing we need is to have our products ready to ship but certain parts are not available. So, what we do is wait for the particular part we want to use to be available from DigiKey or Mouser or whomever, and in reasonable quantities, without having to get into a queue.

Expert Contributor
samcossais

Hi

You should just make a design suitable for both FPGAs.

Keep in mind what upgrades are coming with Artix-7 and make a design not too much device dependent and able to be upgraded to make the most of new functions in the case the new FPGA is available.

For example you should put device dependent code inside wrappers files, for example for primitives such as ISERDES or IODELAY or use ready-to-use wrapper IPs such as DSP macro IP or GTP/GTX wizard IP.

Expert Contributor
samcossais

Also as far as I heard, Artix-7 should be available in 2012 Q1 in ES version but it is not official (I guess some big customers will be shipped earlier).

Expert Contributor
bassman59

samcossais wrote:

Hi

You should just make a design suitable for both FPGAs.

Easier said than done.

First and foremost: there's a PCB that needs to be designed. S6 and A7 are in no way pin-compatible. 

The rest is commentary. Now go study.

Expert Contributor
samcossais

[ Edited ]

By saying "You should just make a design suitable for both FPGAs " I meant if you are in a pure R&D phase, and basically only simulating. He said he may be able to wait. Making such a high level code is a way to wait imo.

I obviously understand that if you're already in the PCB design phase (which I understand is done before FPGA simulation for many projects), you can't make a board suitable for both FPGAs. I was actually working on the assumption that the person who opened this topic was aware of that as well (no need to be such a genius as you are to understand Artix-7 won't be pin compatible with Spartan-6).

Expert Contributor
samcossais

bassman59>
"Now go study"

Calm down man. How the hell do you know my curriculum ?? I've been working 8 years in medical imaging, mostly on FPGA development. Maybe much less than you or whatever I don't mind, but even if I actually was a student, I just really dislike this kind of haughty manner you have. Did I say myself anything unpolite ?

For example, maybe cs00brp was planning to update his design somewhere between 2011-2012 and was asking for a date, to give him some elements to decide for the schedule of new products releases. In this case he doesn't need to be said something he already knows (eg PCB design cannot be done if your FPGA is not 100% decided), but he needs to know an availability date.

I really don't like to have no idea about what's coming in the next few semesters (so that I don't like myself to be answered "I don't recommend you..." while I was asking for a date). I like to have some distance about what direction I'm gonna take in the next 1 or 2 years. If the guy wants a date, he is not asking for a recommendation.