cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ntutangyun

virtex 7 vc 707 board: how to write drivers to access the USER SMA GPIO

Hi, all

I'm quite new here.

I wish to communicate with the VC707 board through an antenna connected to the USER SMA GPIO port. 

So i wish to write a driver to read and write on the USER GPIO ports. but i didn't find the memory address assoicated to the GPIO port. 

Does anyone know where to find relavent resources. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

Where to begin?

The Virtex 7 is a digital logic chip.  It expects a logic type signal on all of its pins.  An antenna will only convert an RF signal into a very low level electrical signal.  To interface with an FPGA, you would need to amplify the output of  the antenna, filter the signal, downconvert and demodulate it, then convert the demodulated signal to a string of ones and zeroes.

The SMA port goes to a pin on the device.  It is just a pin, no address, just a physical location.  You could put a microblaze into your design and access the pin through that.  In general, using an FPGA means designing digital hardware, not writing a sequential program. 

0 Kudos
ntutangyun

oh god. Thank you so much for your reply. Would you mind recommending a better approach if i would wirelessly communicate with the board. 

Thank You. :)

0 Kudos