UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sidesantis01
Visitor

Artix 7 FPGA AC701 & MicroBlaze

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I need a development board for around $1500 for a project I am working on. The Artix 7 AC701 is around the price range I am looking for but I also need it to run MicroBlaze and for the application processor. Can the Artix 7 run the MicroBlaze processor on it or can only the Kintex and up use MicroBlaze?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Artix 7 FPGA AC701 & MicroBlaze

Jump to solution

Hi @sidesantis01,

MicroBlaze can be used as a stand-alone processor in all Xilinx FPGAs or as a co-processor in a Zynq SoC system.

Regards,

Deepak D N

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Reply or Give Kudo Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @sidesantis01,

MicroBlaze can be used as a stand-alone processor in all Xilinx FPGAs or as a co-processor in a Zynq SoC system.

Regards,

Deepak D N

Please Reply or Give Kudo Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

Visitor sidesantis01
Visitor

Jump to solution

@ddn

Great!

So just to make sure... I want to take an image file from an SD card and convert it to a bit file, then send it to the FPGA to do calculations with. I can write a C/C++ program to the MicroBlaze processor then have the information sent to the FPGA for calculations correct?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sidesantis01,

Microblaze is a soft core that is supported on a majority of Xilinx devices including the 7-series portfolio. I recommend reading up our white paper WP469 linked below. Not only that there are much cheaper development boards out there from third party vendors such as Avnet and Digilent like the Arty A7 or Nexys 4 or even Numato Mimas depending on what kind of development test features you need. I recommend lookout at the last link below before deciding on choosing what the right board for you may be. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp469-microblaze-for-cost-sensitive-apps.pdf

https://store.digilentinc.com/arty-a7-artix-7-fpga-development-board-for-makers-and-hobbyists/

https://joelw.id.au/FPGA/CheapFPGADevelopmentBoards

Regards,

Tezz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor sidesantis01
Visitor

Jump to solution

@tenzinc,

Okay, I will definitely take a look at these different options. I appreciate the suggestions!

Thank you,

0 Kudos