UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

How do i create and use a timer interrupt in vivado sdk?

Visitor

How do i create and use a timer interrupt in vivado sdk?

Hey its me again. I'm now working on a rf communication project, a very simple one. My problem is that as I stand I have no way of keeping my information transfer on a clock. I've looked around and the found that the standard procedure is to use the axi timer ip with the axi interrupt controller; I just am not familiar enough with the software at this stage to implement it, your help in the form of examples, or hints would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Adventurer

Re: How do i create and use a timer interrupt in vivado sdk?

@hort3n

Let me start with saying i am no expert at all in FPGA's. i have been working with them the past few month's and even though i got the hang a bit in using the SDK. there is still a lot more to learn than i know. Beside's that, i worked with a couple of different things, ethernet, video, GPIO's etc. and everytime i tried to implement these new things i have some kind of structure of what i search for.

At first i want to tell you about Adam Taylor's website. He got everything covered that u need, even though most of it is for the Zynq, it is still useable and u can learn a lot from it, here is his example on the timer:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xcell-Daily-Blog/Implementing-the-Zynq-SoC-s-Private-Timer-Adam-Taylor-s-MicroZed/ba-p/402203

one of the other things that i do is read the library that they have for it, as i said i am not that good and i still use the libraries for these kind of assignments instead of writing the registers myself, here is the library for the timer, it has the functions and descriptions in it. (first site i found there are more)

https://weble.upc.edu/asig/postgrado/digital/modulo1/m1/microblaze_0/libsrc/tmrctr_v2_01_a/src/xtmrctr.c

Next, the source u can not not use. The explenation of the IP core itself:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_timer/v2_0/pg079-axi-timer.pdf

u were right when u said u needed the timer IP, the hardware is from what i used quiet simple, and also the first time based on one of Adam Taylor's projects.

quick explenation of the block design. I got the timer Slave_AXI port connected to a interconnect controlled by Microblaze, got the interrupt to a concat because i have more interrupts and the areset and aclk connected to the generel resets and clks from my block. more i do not use.

As i said i am no expert at all, and if i give you wrong information, it is not my intention.

Visitor

Re: How do i create and use a timer interrupt in vivado sdk?

Your the best, that's exactly what I needed.