UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

KC705 SMA PRBS generator

Highlighted
Visitor

KC705 SMA PRBS generator

[ Edited ]

I'm running Vivado 2014.3 on a Kintex KC705 Evaluation Board. I want to output a PRBS signal on the SMA ports to drive an electro-optic modulator. I want to have control over the following:

• The peak-to-peak voltage of the TX+ and TX- signals
  • The bias point of the TX+ and TX- signals
  • The bitrate of the PRBS signal

The GTX transceiver is too fast, the minimum bitrate is 500 Mbps, so I can't use IBERT. I want to have a maximum bitrate of 200 Mbps.

How do I go about doing this?

Visitor

Re: KC705 SMA PRBS generator

bump

a couple of things, firstly I would use 2017.3 if possible.
What SMA do you want to use or does it matter? The SMA will dictate what pins you can drive it from in the FPGA.

I am not sure any IO can do what you are looking for, ill leave that to someone else to comment on, but if you can clarify want pins you are planning on using that will let us know what resources you have access too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor

[ Edited ]

I want to use the GPIO SMA ports (pin Y23). I'd want both a PRBS or a user-defined sequence of bits that loops back continuously to be outputted on the SMA ports. I see that the user I/Os can also be hooked up to the FMC outputs but we'd need our breakout board, so it'd be most helpful to have it on the GPIO SMA connectors. The speed of the output signal should be between 100 and 200 Mbps. 

Ideally, it'd be something similar to this post: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/SDK-GPIO-implementation/td-p/784626

Any suggestions?