UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor syssurge
Visitor

New dev board not detected by Hardware Manager (USB)

Jump to solution

I'm new to FPGA development, and have just bough a Kintex-7 XC7K420T dev board that is not detected by the Hardware Manager for some reason.

The board is AC powered and connected to my host Ubuntu using a USB 2.0 mini cable and USB to TTL that's on the FPGA board. I downloaded the latest version of Vivado Design Edition and installed with the Kintex devices selected in the installer. I started the license manager and selected the 30-day trial of Vivado Design Editon, and loaded the license file. I then downloaded and installed the SDK. I downloaded and installed Vivado Hardware Server using xsetup and made sure that Kintex 7 devices were selected, installer said that "addidtional libraries would have to be installed" though. Then I ran install_drivers, setup-boot-loader.sh, setupEnv.sh. Then rebooted. After reboot I ran lsusb which shows the following information about my FPGA over USB to TTL device:

$ sudo lsusb -vd 1a86:7523
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x1a86 QinHeng Electronics
  idProduct          0x7523 HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
  bcdDevice            2.54
  iManufacturer           0 
  iProduct                2 USB2.0-Serial
  iSerial                 0 
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           39
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0 
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower               96mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 
      bInterfaceProtocol      2 
      iInterface              0 
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0020  1x 32 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0020  1x 32 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval               1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

So, it seems that it finds the card alright. Then I ran hw_server which start with no errors. Then I started Vivado Hardware Manager, select localhost as the target (as the hw_manager runs on the same developer host) and it connects successfully, but my board does not show up. No errors, except that the Hardware Manager says "No hardware targets exists on the server". The Hardware Manager is definitely connected to hw_server because if I kill hw_server, then Hardware Manager immediately throws a disconnection error message.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem and get my dev board detected by Hardware Manager? Do I have to somehow configure hw_server to let it know explicitly about my card, or should it automatically detect it? Am I using the correct trial license for the Vivado Design Edition - I read that WebPack would not detect my Kindex-7 model XC7K420T, but I'm guessing that Design Edition would (even though it's just a 30-day trial). I'm unsure the type of USB the board uses, just says USB to TTL and nothing more, even on the dev board itself. As I don't own a Xilinx USB cable I'm using a USB mini cable from an old external HDD, is this ok or is that causing the problem I'm facing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: New dev board not detected by Hardware Manager (USB)

Jump to solution

The USB port on that board appears to be just USB-serial (eg. so you can communicate with the board), not USB-JTAG (what the Xilinx tools use for programming the FPGA). USB-JTAG requires a special adaptor, normally one of the Digilent SMT models. My guess is that, like many of the cheap Chinese boards, it doesn't have USB-JTAG built-in, so you will need to buy an appropriate JTAG adaptor. Digilent's HS3 is fine, or you can get the "proper" XIlinx Platform Cable USB II.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Visitor syssurge
Visitor

Jump to solution
Update: I have the following licences in case I'm missing some: Analyzer, ChipsopePro, ChipscopePro_SIOTK, HLS, HLS, Implementation, Implementation, ISE, ISE_System_Edition, ISIM, PartialReconfiguration, PartialReconfiguration, PlanAhead, SDK, Simulation, Synthesis, Synthesis, SysGen, SysGen, SysGen, Vivado_System_Edition, XilinxTrial, XPS.
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

The USB port on that board appears to be just USB-serial (eg. so you can communicate with the board), not USB-JTAG (what the Xilinx tools use for programming the FPGA). USB-JTAG requires a special adaptor, normally one of the Digilent SMT models. My guess is that, like many of the cheap Chinese boards, it doesn't have USB-JTAG built-in, so you will need to buy an appropriate JTAG adaptor. Digilent's HS3 is fine, or you can get the "proper" XIlinx Platform Cable USB II.

0 Kudos