UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer labluxor8
Observer

Really strange clocking wizard shifting behavior

Hi everybody,

I'm writing about a really odd behavior on my implemented design on a ZedBoard board (and Vivado 2017.4).

I designed such a system (very simplified description):

- the FPGA receives a 10 MHz clock from an external source
- the clock feeds a MMCM and generates two different clocks at 100 and 200 MHz (zero phase setting and duty cycle 50%)
- a custom block uses this two clocks to do something like this: assert or deassert four different outputs (say A, B, C and D) depending on the input data.
- The input data is represented by an std_logic_vector(2 downto 0) where bits 2 and 1 are used to set port A and B (if '00' or '11' then A<='0' and B<='0', if '01' then A<='1' and B<='0', if '10' then A<='0' and B<='1') and bit 0 is used to set port C and D (if '0' then C<='1' and D<='0', if '1' then C<='0' and D<='1'). After a clock cycle all the ports are set to '0' and the new set will be done after some clock cycle (set by a dedicated counter).
- The input data vector comes from two different AXI GPIO blocks which are set from dedicated SDK software.
- There are also other blocks which do some stuff using the same 100/200 clock, asserting-deasserting some outputs.

This is what magically happens. The data on the bit0 change the main clocks phase.
Switching between bit0 = '0' and bit0 = '1' introduce a clock shift of about 800 ps. The phase shift is equally applied to both the 100 and the 200 MHz clock, i.e. to all the signals of the design. With a fast change on the bit0 value all the system is crazly bouncing forward and back (+800 ps, - 800 ps)! I measured this phase shift with an oscilloscope looking at the original 10 MHz external clock and an output signal from the FPGA.

I really don't know how this is possibile. I tried to re-generate all the IP-cores or tried with another ZedBoard but nothing changed.

How can a '0' or '1' value act on the MMCM?!?
Thank you very much,

Andrea

0 Kudos