UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Use clock monitor option in Clocking Wizard v5.3

Hello all,

I need help using Clocking Wizard IP. I need to detect clock stops, clock glitches and the clock out of range of an external clock, so it seems this IP would solve my problem.

The external clock comes from a GPIO pin and is connected to the ref_clk input.

The clk_in1 of the block is connected to 100 MHz ( I think it is the source clock for the module).

As you can see in the screen, this is my block IP. My problem is that I don't know how to proceed. I know that these outputs could be connected with my Microblaze processor but I don't know how to do that. Maybe using the AXI4?

Could anyone help me? :)

Thanks and best regards,

Marta

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Use clock monitor option in Clocking Wizard v5.3

Hello @baldrism,

If you are using 'Enable Clock Monitoring' option of Clocking Wizard IP, then it actually enables AXI-4 lite interface with which you can communicate with Microblaze processor. You can create example design for this IP and observe the connectivity of AXI-4 lite interface related signals.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you very much ashishd,

So it means that it is not necessary to connect the outputs because I have AXI4 Lite directly connected in my Microblaze?

As I read in the Product Specification of the IP, for the clock monitor the unique registers are the output bits. The unique register space is detailed only when Dynamic Reconfiguration Mode is selected, I read that but I don't see any entry for the clock stop, clock glitch and the clock_oor.

How can I know which address of the register space I could get this information?

Thanks and best regards,

Marta

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @baldrism,

There is status register associated with Clock Monitor feature. If you check the Clock Configuration Registers table 2-2 on page #16 from below PG, you can find that there is a register with address 'C_BASEADDR+0x08' named as 'Clock Monitor Error Status Register'. If you wish to get description of individual bits of this register, then you need to check Table 2-3 on page #23.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/clk_wiz/v5_4/pg065-clk-wiz.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks @ashishd to reply :)

I have already read this register with all the information from the clock monitoring, thanks!

However, I don't know which differences are between the ref_clk, the user_clk0 and the clk_in. My objective is to monitore an external clock (that doesn't have a fix value because can be configured externally), and from this I want to read the frequency, to know if it has glitches and if it has clock stops.

Is the reference frequency the frequency which I sample the signal? 

Is the user_clk0 the input to monitore?

Is the clk_in1 the input clock for the Clocking Wizard component?

Thanks and best regards,

Marta

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

@baldrism I am also trying to use the clock monitoring feature of clocking wizard v5.3. The difference I am trying to connect the AXI-lite to the PS instead of microblaze. But it does work properly. Have you try using PS instead of MB ? Can I ask, based on your experience, is the clocking wizard monitoring only works when connecting to microblaze ?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I used monitor in Zynq, and it worked. I use Zynq 100MHz clk as input to axi clock, reference and clk_in1, and user_clk0 connected to external clock that I want to monitor, and while changing the frequency of external clock I see the change in the register, it is marked grater or lesser, so seems to work correct. However, I have a different problem, my external clock frequency can change (I have control over it, so I know to what value it will change). And in clock monitor configuration I see only static expected user frequency. Is it possible to change this frequency from software during operation?

Edit:

I use Clocking Wizard v5.4, I'm not sure if its relevant.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @wincle,

I have no tried to use PS as I think I don't have it when using my Arty board. What I have done is to upload my VIVADO to version 2018 as it has v6 of clocking wizard instead v5.3. Hope it will help. :/

Thanks  a lot,

Marta

0 Kudos