Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Boot without DRAM and running PS without OS

Jump to solution

According to some actual reasons, I have to boot my Zynq 7000 FPGA withou any DRAM nor SD on board.

I have used many FPGAs, but to embedded devices, I'm a new guy.

I want to ask 3 questions.

1: Can I boot a Zynq 7000 device with no DRAM nor SD on board, just using a flash?

2: Can I using the PS to excute some C code program without any OS?

3: Can I using PL to debug some external components without PS boot? In other words, is booting PS the first necessary step to use PL?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

1. Yes

2. Yes, but your program and program data have to live *somewhere*. Are you perhaps using bram inside the FPGA logic?

3. If flash is used for booting, the FPGA is programmed by the FSBL running inside the PS. Therefore, the PS needs to at least run the FSBL in order to program the FPGA at boot.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

1. Yes

2. Yes, but your program and program data have to live *somewhere*. Are you perhaps using bram inside the FPGA logic?

3. If flash is used for booting, the FPGA is programmed by the FSBL running inside the PS. Therefore, the PS needs to at least run the FSBL in order to program the FPGA at boot.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
this gives some pointers.
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Boot-and-Configuration/Zynq-7000-Initialize-BRAM-from-FSBL/td-p/943001
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot!
This answer do help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!
Your answers are very clear.
0 Kudos