cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jensrenner
Contributor
Contributor

Flash memory programming issue in Vitis 2021.1 / "Could not read hardware specification"

Jump to solution

Hi everybody,

I just migrated from Vivado / SDK 2018.3 to Vivado / Vitis 2021.1. OS is Debian 10. I have exported the XSA HW specification of my Zynq XC7Z020 project and created a platform named "csa_boot" in Vitis which just contains the FSBL. I was able to compile without any problems and create a boot image, very similar to how it used to be in the SDK.

But when selecting "Program Flash", I am getting an error message "Could not read hardware specification. Please check platform associated with project". My JTAG cable and target platform were successfully detected. Is it okay that I can't select anything else as "Project" except "<None>", or could this be the reason for the error message?

I have already searched the forums and the internet but couldn't find anything helpful. What exactly am I supposed to do in order to "check platform associated with project"? Any pointers?

Regards

Jens.

vitis_2021.1_flash.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jensrenner ,

This is expected behaviour, You should have the system project in the workspace to proceed. 

Please create a system project and then open the program flash window --> project--> select the system project and then proceed further

View solution in original post

3 Replies
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jensrenner ,

This is expected behaviour, You should have the system project in the workspace to proceed. 

Please create a system project and then open the program flash window --> project--> select the system project and then proceed further

View solution in original post

jensrenner
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @pvempati ,

Thanks for the hint, appreciate it!

According to the New App wizard, "a platform provides hardware information and software environment settings, and "a domain provides runtime for applications, such as operating system or BSP".

But the newly created platform project already contained a FSBL (not just the BSP). So I somehow thought I could just use that one, create a boot image, and flash it to the memory. But instead I have to setup a system project which is either empty or contains a dummy app which I don't need. That was a little confusing.

Also the error message is a bit misleading because it only mentions the app and the platform but not the component that's actually missing (the system project).

Jens

0 Kudos
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jensrenner,

Actually, Boot image is created under the system project and hence we are looking for the system project, not a platform project in the program flash window. 

We will review and update the error message if required.