Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neutrinoxy
Contributor
Contributor

How to load and launch an A53 application using R5

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm working on a ZCU102 evaluation board. What I want to develop is a R5 application that does the following:

1. Turn off A53
  2. Load an application (in my case, it would be ATF before u-boot) from SD Card or QSPI Flash in DDR or OCM
  3. Turn on A53 and launch the application

However, after I turn off A53, load the ATF firmware in DDR (or OCM), and wake up A53 using XPm_RequestWakeUp from xilpm library, nothing happens, with no errors of course.

Am I missing something about the boot flow? I tried to look at the FSBL source code in order to get some knowledge about the boot procedure, but despite the comments, it's quite confusing.

Thank you in advance,

Neutrinoxy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
neutrinoxy
Contributor
Contributor
0 Kudos
6 Replies
denist
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Most of our run-time code uses A53 as master and loads R5 applications (except for FSBL that can do the opposite).

I really think the best way is to reference an FSBL built for R5 that loads a simple "hello world" that runs on A53.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
neutrinoxy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm now able to do what I want, however it only works with a BSP built with SDK 2017.4. When I'm using an application with a BSP built with SDK 2019.1, it doesn't work. The source code is literally the same, there are no error codes, but the A53 doesn't launch the application I previously load in DDR. I also tried to downgrade xilpm library to 2.2 (the version used by SDK 2017.4), but it doesn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neutrinoxy

0 Kudos
denist
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Maybe connect using the debugger and see if:

- the sw is loaded in DDR

- the A53-0 is under reset. If not, where is the PC (program counter)?

- try to move the A53 PC (rwr pc 0xXXXXXXXX) and hit "continue" on the debugger. Is that working?

0 Kudos
denist
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@neutrinoxy , were you able to debug this any further?

0 Kudos
neutrinoxy
Contributor
Contributor
0 Kudos
masheeen
Participant
Participant

I know this is an older thread, with a solution, but alas I cannot get a response on my post about a very similar circumstance. I'm trying to bring up an A53 application using the R5 processor, but am struggling to find the right steps to do it. You can see the post here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Load-A53-Application-OS-after-FSBL-has-completed-boot/m-p/1143118

I'm hoping you may be able to give a brief summary, or even detailed, on the steps you're taking to put the A53 in reset, point to the appropriate place in memory to load from, then restart the processor, using the R5. I apologize for replying to an older thread, but this is the closest I've come to finding an answer that I'm struggling to sort out.

Thanks.

0 Kudos