UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor b.allen
Visitor

Manually copying a boot image in flash - System won't boot

I have an encrypted (with key1) boot image (created using bootgen) consisting of FLSB, .bit, a couple .elf's and some binary data files - we'll call that Boot Image 1.  The very last binary data file is another encrypted (with key2) boot image (created separately using bootgen) consisting of an FSBL, .bit and .elf - we'll call that Boot Image 2.

Boot Image 1 works fine on its own.  Load it to QSPI, program BBRAM with key1 and you're up and running.

Boot Image 2 works fine on its own.  Load it to QSPI, program BBRAM with key2 and you're up and running.

One of the .elf's in Boot Image 1 uses the methodology from xqspips_flash_polled_example to read the Boot Image 2 binary out of flash (it lives at 0xFC24AC40) and re-write it to 0xFC000000 so that it becomes the new boot image.  One of the other .elf's in Boot Image 1 is responsible for getting key2 and writing it to BBRAM (using XAPP1223 methodology) and that works just fine, so the issue is not that I have the wrong key loaded.

So using XQspiPs_PolledTransfer's to read/write from QSPI, I take the image and move it to the base address in flash.  I have confirmed that the image I'm copying matches the image bootgen created (by manually comparing the first and last 12 pages or so and some random ones in between).  When I power off the board and power it on again, the new image won't load (no done light).  If I manually program Boot Image 2 to the flash using the SDK, it starts working.

Am I missing some kind of command to the flash chip or some kind of data put into registers that the program_flash command takes care of, but my straight copy does not?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Manually copying a boot image in flash - System won't boot

Hi @b.allen

I suggest to use QEMU for this issue.

It's easy way to debug booting sequence.

Would you refer the following URLs ?

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/QEMU

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/QEMU+-+Zynq+UltraScalePlus

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/QEMU+for+Windows

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Manually copying a boot image in flash - System won't boot

zynq-7000? A secure boot error should be pulsed out on INIT_B. That might give you a clue on what's going wrong.

See UG585 "6.3.12 BootROM Error Codes" page 198 for the decoding

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos