cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Viking
Visitor
Visitor

No reset_reason bit set by SWDT1 (FD4D0000)

Zynq ultrascale system.

The watchdog apparently works and we end up with reset as expected except no bit in the reset_reason register (0xFF5E0220) is set after the watchdog trigger reset, we read value 0. Reset by other sources like RESET_CTRL, ps_por and ps_srst will set bit in reset_reason register as expected.

SWDT1 configuration:

RegRead -b 0xFD4D0000
0x000001c3
RegRead -b 0xFD4D0004
0x000011e1

xilinx-pmu-fw/pmufw.tcl

configapp -app pmufw define-compiler-symbols ENABLE_RECOVERY
configapp -app pmufw define-compiler-symbols ENABLE_ESCALATION
configapp -app pmufw define-compiler-symbols ENABLE_RECOVERY_RESET_SYSTEM

I dont find anything in TRM about no reset reason bit to be expected by SWDT1.

We use Xilinx-2018.3/SDK

0 Kudos
7 Replies
abhinayp
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @Viking ,

Are you reading register through application? or directly from xsct console? Let me investigate more on this behavior looking at the previous known issues.

Best Regards
Abhinay PS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Viking
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks.

Above was read in QNX, same value read with U-Boot. Our other reset sources read reset_reason bit as expected.

0 Kudos
Viking
Visitor
Visitor

Hi again @abhinayp 

If there is some more information that would be useful, or something I should test please let me know.

Have you used SWDT1 and read reset_reason register?

0 Kudos
debrajr

Hi @Viking , typically when you use WDT timeout to trigger reset of system, the PMU subsystem manages the reset. 

Please set the 13th bit (FPD_SWDT) of 0xFFD8056C (ERROR_SRST_EN_1) and check 0xFFD8053 (ERROR_STATUS_1) from FSBL after reset.

Details refer: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Zynqmp-Ultrascale-Reset-Reason-bit-works/td-p/1045581 

Also, look for Reset Reason in U-boot, it should show as PMU in your case.

Reset reason:	PMU

Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Viking
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @debrajr! Thank you so much for your information, sorry for the late response. When I touch these registers (0xFFD8056C and 0xFFD80530) in U-boot the result is immediate system reset. This seems to be consistent for the complete PMU, since even a read of 0xFFD80000 (PMU_GLOBAL) results in system reset. Maybe this PMU issue is masking the expected watchdog reset and reset reason? I will review TRF and software developer guide but appreciate further advice.

0 Kudos
Viking
Visitor
Visitor

Hi again!

I added some detailed debug output for PMU and get this during watchdog reset in QNX:

EM: FPD Watchdog Timer Error (Error ID: 18)
Escalating to system level reset
Ps Only Reset
Err: #1 l2$ state#2
Err: #1 ocm0 state#2
Err: #1 ocm1 state#2
Err: #1 ocm2 state#2
Err: #1 ocm3 state#2
Err: #1 tcm0a state#2
Err: #1 tcm0b state#2
Err: #1 tcm1a state#2
Err: #1 tcm1b state#2
Err: #1 ttc1 state#1
Err: #1 ttc2 state#1
Err: #1 ttc3 state#1
Err: #1 gpupp0 state#0
Err: #1 gpupp1 state#0
Err: #1 uart0 state#1
Err: #1 uart1 state#1
Err: #1 spi0 state#1
Err: #1 i2c0 state#1
Err: #1 i2c1 state#1
Err: #1 sd0 state#1
Err: #1 eth1 state#1
Err: #1 eth2 state#1
Err: #1 eth3 state#1
Err: #1 adma state#1
Err: #1 gdma state#1
Err: #1 qspi state#1
Err: #1 gpio state#1
Err: #1 ddr state#2
Err: #1 ipi_apu state#1
Err: #1 ipi_rpu0 state#1
Err: #1 ipi_rpu1 state#1
Err: #1 pcie state#1
Err: #1
Avnet modifying SDHCI0 and SDHCI1 registers for UltraZed SOM

Xilinx Zynq MP First Stage Boot Loader 
Release 2018.3   May 20 2021  -  15:45:17
PMU Firmware 2018.3	May 20 2021   15:54:16
PMU_ROM Version: xpbr-v8.1.0-0
EM: Enabling XMPU/XPPU interrupts
EM Module (MOD-0): Initialized.
DAP_WAKE (MOD-3): Initialized.
LEGACY PWR UP/DN/ISO (MOD-4): Initialized.
XPFW: Calling ROM PWRUP Handler..Done

I included some of the output during start-up which also include detailed PMU debug messages.

0 Kudos
abhinayp
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @Viking ,

The way to access secure registers by U-Boot or Linux is using the firmware/power management drivers that use the ATF to communicate with the PMU firmware for several features. The Power Management API provides MMIO operations that allows to perform register read/write operations but for security reasons those operations are not provided to the userspace as it would allow to anybody to access to secure registers.

In U-Boot you can write you can use the zynqmp_mmio_read function in the boot code or a driver to perform the read operation. If the goal is to perform the operation from the U-Boot prompt you would need to create a new user command or a driver.

Also please refer the below wiki page for the restart solution.

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841820/Zynq%2BUltraScale%2BMPSoC%2BRestart%2Bsolution

Check the Healthy Bit Scheme, to avoid escalation.

Best Regards
Abhinay PS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Give kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos