UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mutemel
Visitor

PS Flash Programming using BS Tool

Hello,

I have a board that has Zynq 7020 and i want to program the flash device using the third party boundary-scan tool. Since there are many boundary-scan cells in the boundary-scan chain, shifting the data that has to be programmed may take quite some time, so attached boundary scan tool's application note describes a method that can reduce the programming time when the flash device to be programmed is connected to the FPGA.

The flash device (N25Q128A) is connected to PS side (MIOS<1..6> pins). These mio pins are connected to PS side. Therefore, these pins can not be controlled from PL side directly. I can not apply application given in the attachment to my board. Do you have any advise for this situation? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PS Flash Programming using BS Tool

Can you detect PS from your JTAG chain, if so there should be no problem to program QSPI flash.
Programming PS QSPI flash does not use PL logic.
Do you try to use Xilinx tools to program QSPI flash?
0 Kudos
Visitor mutemel
Visitor

I can program QSPI flash using Xilinx Tools. Also, I can program flash using our third party Boundary Scan Tool. Because of the long scan-chain it takes much time program the flash. I am working on the reducing that programming time.

In the attached document, constraint file is used for determining the pins of QSPI flash's data, clock and ss signals. These pins are connected to PS side, so I cannot use them in constraint file.

Is there a possible way that PL IP controls the QSPI controller of PS?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Xilinx tools use a u-boot to program the PS QSPI. U-boot is executed on DDR running by Cortex-a9. So there is nothing can do from PL side.
But PS QSPI registers can be accessed from PL side, so technically you can control the PS QSPI from PL IP. but we don’t have this kind of solution.

I took a look at your attachment, it’s for the flash device connected to PL. I don’t think it will work for PS QSPI.
0 Kudos