UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie pik973

Replace XC7Z010 by XC7Z020 in order to repair damaged board - To which extend are the two chips compatible ?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to Xilling products in general, so please excuse the naivity of this question.

I have a faulty commercial FGPA board (redpitaya 125-14) that is based on the XC7Z010 and that I am trying to repair.

As I strongly suspect the  XC7Z010 is fried I replaced it. Unfortunately the only spare FGPA available in my lab was an XC7Z020 (same GL400 package than the XC7Z010 of course).  I have already replaced the FGPA on a redpitaya 125-14board  in the past by another identical XC7Z010 one and the repair worked quite well , but this time with the XC7Z020 the repair failed and I am trying to eliminate any hardware compatibility issues between XC7Z010 and XC7Z020. 

My understanding (?) of the Xillink documentation is that the two chips are 100% compatible hardware wise if they are of the same package (GL400). So, as the NC pins of the XC7Z010 are left floating on the PCB, my naive expectation was that for the power-subsystem of the board (VCC raill -Power On reset),  it should not have made any difference wether the replaced chip is an XC7Z010 or an XC7Z020.  Unfotunately this is not what happened and the power subsystem (VCC rail - Power On reset) did not come-up . Actually the consumption of the  board is quite high as if there was some kind of short somewhere and one of the fuses on the board heats up considerably.  

My question: I just need confirmation that I can eliminate any hardware compatibility issues between the two chips. In order words the power supply issues that I am encountering are related to external factor such as:

- the power subystem of the board is faulty

- the power subsystem is designed detect that the replaced chip is not an XC7Z010 and is refusing to come-up (maybe by security). 

- the replacement part, so the XC7Z020 , is also faulty or is not soldered correctly.

Thanks for providing your views.

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Replace XC7Z010 by XC7Z020 in order to repair damaged board - To which extend are the two chips compatible ?

Jump to solution

I think you have your answer then,

its the re work.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
3 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Replace XC7Z010 by XC7Z020 in order to repair damaged board - To which extend are the two chips compatible ?

Jump to solution

have look here is you have not already

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/selection-guides/zynq-7000-product-selection-guide.pdf

page 4, shows the capabilities of the different chips,

I assume you mean the CLG40 package,

you see the number of HR Io is different beteween the packages.

Generaly , you layout your board for the 20 part, then the 10 part will slot in with less functionality.

It sounds to me most likely that you have a short circuit in you we work.

BTW: ist also normal to re compile the bit stream betwene two parts,

you cant just put the 10 bit file into the 20 part,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Newbie pik973

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for your reply

Yes I know this document.  The pin-out of the 7020 is the same than 7010 except for additional pins which are active on the 7020 and inactive on the 7010.

My board was designed for the 7010 not the 7020 but since the Not Connected pins of the 7010 were left floating on the PCB, it should be no issue. Actually, even if they were shorted to ground or connected to VCC, I would not see any issue either, right ??? 

Yes I realise that have to produce a new bit file for the 7020 but that is another story. First I am trying to eliminate the possibility that this "short like" situation is due to hardware compatibility issues between the two chips.

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

I think you have your answer then,

its the re work.