cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Restart Zynq From Watchdog

Jump to solution

I am transitioning a design from Artix to Zynq, and I have everything working except for the watchdog timer. I am running Vivado 2018.3 on Windows 10.

To help me understand it, I built a simple Zynq PS on my ZedBoard and I am running the xscuwdt_polled_example.c.

My only modification is to have the watchdog reset CPU0 only.

Xil_Out32(0xF8000008, 0x0000DF0D);  // SLCR_UNLOCK Unlock SLCR
  Xil_Out32(0xF800024C, 0x00000001);  // RS_AWDT_CTRL - Watchdog resets CPU0 only
  Xil_Out32(0xF8000004, 0x0000767B);  // SLCR_LOCK Lock SLCR

I created a boot image and programmed it into the ZedBoard SPI.  After the program runs, the watchdog expires and the system reboots. This is the behavior I want.

However, if I put the same boot.bin into an SD card and boot from that, the program runs but does not reboot the system after the watchdog expires. How do I get the watchdog to reboot from SD?

---

Joe Samson

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I was trying to just reset CPU0, but I have better luck now by resetting the whole system.

I've got it working now on 2 different platforms: from flash on the zedboard and from SD card on the snickerdoodle.

Every time I make a new bitstream I check to make sure it still works. If it keeps working I'll mark a solution next week.

---

Joe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are you only resetting the CPU or the whole system?

Use XSDB to connect to the target after the failure and read the REBOOT_REGISTER or see where the PC is.

It should give you an error for the failed boot. Hopefully a clue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I was trying to just reset CPU0, but I have better luck now by resetting the whole system.

I've got it working now on 2 different platforms: from flash on the zedboard and from SD card on the snickerdoodle.

Every time I make a new bitstream I check to make sure it still works. If it keeps working I'll mark a solution next week.

---

Joe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Any update?

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for the reminder. It looks like switching to resetting both processors does what I want, so I'll close the case.

---

Joe

0 Kudos