cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SPI FLASH bitstream loading on ZYNQ PL only

Jump to solution

Hello everyone

I developed a working VIVADO vhdl project for the PL part of a zynq-7000 based board (bora xpress board from dave). My application doesn't use the PS part of Zynq.

My board as a S25FL128S spi flash memory. Could you please indicate me the right procedure to load the bin or mcs file inside the flash memory?  I tested the code using the volatile .bit, but now i need to store the file inside flash.

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @mauriziomontesi,

Please check below for boot mode pins setting.

boot_pins_zynq.PNG

Best Regards,
Srikanth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @mauriziomontesi,

Please check this :   https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/TE0720/FPGA+design+without+PS 

Best Regards,
Srikanth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Savula thanks for reply. I need more details. I developped a vhdl project using Vivado. Do I need to add to my project a block diagram, istanciate the zynq processing system (even if not used), generate bitstrem, export to sdk and programming from SDK?I'm searching information but honestly I'm a bit confused, i used lots of Xilinx FPGA but never soc.

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @mauriziomontesi,

Yes, you need Zynq Instant even if you are not used the PS (because it should read the flash device and load the bit stream into PL). So as you mentioned please add a Zynq instant and generate the bit stream and export it SDK and create a FSBL and create a BOOT image with fsbl and bit stream then program the flash.

Best Regards,
Srikanth

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Srikanth, a last help:)

Could you please indicate me the procedure to create a FSBL and create a BOOT image?

I have instanciated zynq proc inside my vivado project (leaving it unconnected) and then exported to SDK. Now what I need to do? (I don't need to use PS, only the bin or mcs to program the spi flash)

Thanks a lot

Maurizio

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I would start with UG1165.  Your bif would only need to have the fsbl and bitstream.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

Hi @mauriziomontesi,

Create a FSBL application project in SDK. Please see the below tutorial

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_4/SDK_Doc/tasks/sdk_t_project_creation_zynq_fsbl.htm

To create BIN file please follow the below tutorial, 

https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/xilinx2018_2/SDK_Doc/SDK_tasks/task_creatingabootimage.html

in above tutorial instead of zynq_hello.elf give your bit file.

Program the BOOT.bin file in flash.

Best Regards,
Srikanth

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Srikanth thanks to your indication now I'm able to generate all files I need and program Flash. But FPGA fail to boot. I think it's a problem related to MODE0---MODE4 pin. What is the right MODE configuration to boot from QSPI?

Best regards

Maurizio

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @mauriziomontesi,

Please check below for boot mode pins setting.

boot_pins_zynq.PNG

Best Regards,
Srikanth

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Hi Srikanth, thanks a lot. Now I'm able to program and boot from QSPI flash.

Great support

Maurizio

0 Kudos