Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davet
Visitor
Visitor

Standalone application does not run without JTAG connected

Jump to solution

I have a standalone application developed with Vitis 2020.1 on a Zynq 7000 that runs as expected with the debugger. However, if I create a bootimage and program it into flash (QSPI boot), the application only runs IF a JTAG programmer is plugged in (I've tried both Platform Cable and SmartLynq).

I am using the auto generated FSBL that gets created with the Platform project in Vitis. The FSBL appears to work and does program the PL -- it just looks like the application doesn't start, like it may be in reset or have a stopped clock. However, as soon as I plug in the JTAG cable, the application starts running. I can remove the JTAG cable and it continues running. I've done some probing and saw there is activity on the JTAG lines without taking any action in Vitis, and I want to believe that the presence of the JTAG clock (or maybe other signals) is having an impact. None of the other signals from the Xilinx programmers are connected -- just vref and tms/tck/tdo/tdi.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas? I'm starting to go down the path of digging into ps7_init.c, since that's one part of the boot process that least familiar with / most suspecting of.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
denist
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Do you have a UART? I saw this if the stdout in the BSP for the FSBL is set to "coresight" instead if UART or NONE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
denist
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Do you have a UART? I saw this if the stdout in the BSP for the FSBL is set to "coresight" instead if UART or NONE.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

Steves_Job
Visitor
Visitor

Did you find the the problem? I am having the same issue. Changing the stdout to none did not change the behavior.

0 Kudos
davet
Visitor
Visitor

Changing stdout and stdin to UART/NONE did resolve this for me.

0 Kudos
jhouee
Observer
Observer

Hello

I have the same issue but I didn't selected any UART in my design.

Where do you change  stdout and stdin to UART/NONE ?

Thanks

Johann

0 Kudos
boychantrau_9a4
Observer
Observer

@jhouee  you can right click your fsbl_bsp -> board support package settings -> standalone -> there you can see stdout setting, change it to uart/none