Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anoir.nechi
Observer
Observer

USB to USB Bridge cable for PYNQ Board and PC

Jump to solution

Hello

I want to exchange data between the PYNQ Z1 Board and my PC (Windows) and for that, I know that I need a special cable working as USB to USB bridge recognized by both OS. The problem that I could not find a proper cable recognizable by both the host OS and PYNQ  OS.

Could you please recommend me one?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Some cheaper-than-the-cheapest USB cables only have the power wires as they are only for charging. With your test you found you have a 'proper' USB cable. That's a good start.

I don't know much the Zynq board but it probably has a uart to USB converter (FTDI, prolific, etc). The second thing to test is whether after connecting the board you see a new serial device in your Control Panel > Device manager.

If the above is correct, then you are ready to communicate. I think the basic pynq configuration has the serial port active, there should be a number of pynq tutorials using it.

As you may understand, because pynq is a layer built on top of linux that is in turn built on top of a configurable hardware, is not something short to answer.

Well, wait. You are using the pynq board, but not necessarily using pynq, right?

In that case, if all you want is to use the serial over USB what you need to do is:

- open Vivado, start a hw project, select your board, create a block diagram, drop the Zynq processor block

- Apply the board settings to the block, validate it and save it

- Create a wrapper to the block diagram

- Synthesize and build the bitstream

- Export to SDK (or whatever is called in Vitis if you use that thing)

- Create a Hello world application (one of the sw templates)

- Run it. Got it? Wonderful, now you can develop your thing and send data from the Zynq PS to a PC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

You only need to configure the USB on Pynq as a device USB. USB can only connect hosts (a PC) and devices (printers, mouses, cameras, etc). 

PYNQ is not a OS. Pynq uses Linux.

I don't think you need any "special" USB cable and I've never heard of "USB to USB bridge" unless it is what it has traditionally been called a virtual COM port (UART over USB)

0 Kudos
anoir.nechi
Observer
Observer

Well, I have a normal data USB cable that I connected to the PC and it is not working I suspected that maybe thee USB is broken So I plugged a USB flash disk and it is detected. My purpose is to send data from the PYNQ board to the PC after some processing. Could you tell me how to reconfigure the USB on PYNQ.

0 Kudos

Some cheaper-than-the-cheapest USB cables only have the power wires as they are only for charging. With your test you found you have a 'proper' USB cable. That's a good start.

I don't know much the Zynq board but it probably has a uart to USB converter (FTDI, prolific, etc). The second thing to test is whether after connecting the board you see a new serial device in your Control Panel > Device manager.

If the above is correct, then you are ready to communicate. I think the basic pynq configuration has the serial port active, there should be a number of pynq tutorials using it.

As you may understand, because pynq is a layer built on top of linux that is in turn built on top of a configurable hardware, is not something short to answer.

Well, wait. You are using the pynq board, but not necessarily using pynq, right?

In that case, if all you want is to use the serial over USB what you need to do is:

- open Vivado, start a hw project, select your board, create a block diagram, drop the Zynq processor block

- Apply the board settings to the block, validate it and save it

- Create a wrapper to the block diagram

- Synthesize and build the bitstream

- Export to SDK (or whatever is called in Vitis if you use that thing)

- Create a Hello world application (one of the sw templates)

- Run it. Got it? Wonderful, now you can develop your thing and send data from the Zynq PS to a PC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos