Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

ZC702 Uboot changes to load image.ub from SPI flash

Hi All,

I am able to flash BOOT.BIN to ZC702 spi flash using sf commands. But when I power cycle the board and try to boot it, its hanging at uboot command prompt. I believe U-boot needs some command defined to load image.ub from spi flash to RAM and execute kernel.

Can you tell me SPI address to load image.ub?
Also where should I load image.ub from flash using sf read to RAM? RAM location to read image.ub from spi flash.

Regards,

Shyam

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If you use petalinux to generate the image, please find platform-auto.h from your project.
Then kernelstart shows the flash offset and netstart shows the load address of memory.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thank you.

Can we load an extracted rootfs contents to spi flash?
I know how to use compressed rootfs fromflash using an itb file.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Xilinx tends to use .ub extension (i.e. Yocto generates the fitimage.itb or fit.itb file in deploy/images/<machine_name> directory and PetaLinux tools will rename this to image.ub while copying to <plnx-proj-root>/images/linux directory.)

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842374/U-Boot+Images
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thats Okay. Iam now able to flash BOOT.BIN and my .itb file to SPI and boot it properly. I want to make changes that are made to my rootfs to be persistent over multiple boots. For this a compressed image will not help right. So I want to use extracted rootfs which is copied to SPI flash.

Will this is possible on ZC702?

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

you can boot Linux with individual Kernel image, rootfs , device tree file.
See P.45
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/ug873-zynq-ctt.pdf
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks for pointing it. But the command there says "dow -data uramdisk.image.gz 0x2000000" which is to copy a compressed ramdisk image to SPI flash. I told I want to use uncompressed ramdisk folder to be used as my file system. Is there a way to achieve this?

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos