Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

bootgen missing

Jump to solution

Dear support,

I'm just trying to create a VxWorks bootloader for a Xilinx ZC702 board. I'm following WindRiver's documentation on this.

I tried to avoid contacting you guys so I went ahead and installed Vivado but I found you need 20GB (I only want the xilinx tools in order to use bootgen, I will then use VxWorks OS so I don't want all the 20GB worth of Vivado stuff).

I have a real problem with the space because the machine I need to use does not have so much free hard disk available. I tried to use my own computer for this, but in my own computer (a 64-bit ubuntu linux) it seems the installation went bad or something and when I try to run bootgen I get an error about "ERROR: Could not find 64-bit executable." and "/faststore/opt/xilinx/SDK/2018.3/bin/unwrapped/lnx64.o/bootgen" , upon inspection I noticed that the "unwrapped" directory is missing.

Is there a way to get bootgen that does not involve installing 20GB of software? can I get a tar file or something with bootgen for my zc 702 ?

Thanks in advance,

Memo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: bootgen missing

Jump to solution

Copying the libraries into the install folder fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Memo,

If you look at Pages 8 & 9 of the Bootgen User Guide:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug1283-bootgen-user-guide.pdf
it explains how to install Bootgen standalone (from the SDK installer).

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Andres

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Andres,

Thanks for the tip.

turns out I was not seeing the option to just install bootgen standalone in the 2018.3 SDK, but the 2018.2 SDK has it there.

Curiously I still had the same error that I reported earlier, in that the "uncompressed" directory is not there after the installation and bootgen complains that ERROR: Could not find 64-bit executable.

I am reproducing this problem with two different unix users, in two different linux distributions (ubuntu 18.04 and RHEL 6.1), both are 64-bit

I am going to try and see if using a 32-bit linux system I can get it to work

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Ok I am getting the same error in a 32-bit linux RHEL 6.2:

ERROR: Could not find 32-bit executable.
ERROR: /home/local/memo/xilinx_sdk_2018.2/Bootgen/2018.2/bin/unwrapped/lnx32.o/bootgen does not exist
ERROR: 32-bit platform is not supported.

So at this point I'll try to first install from a RHEL 62 to see if there's something bad going on in the installer but otherwise I'll run out of ideas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

ok I tried installing from 32-bit linux and I'm getting "ERROR: This installation is not supported on 32 bit platforms.". I cannot find a 32-bit installer for the 2018.2 SDK, so this means this is expected, and this is ok, my original machine is a 64-bit linux.

But so, at this point, this means I have run out of ideas, and somehow the bootgen is still missing the "unwrapped" folder.

Can you reproduce the problem if you install the stand-alone bootgen from 2018.2 from the portal ? (meaning, after installation do you end up with an "unwrapped" folder in Bootgen/2018.2/bin/unwrapped , do you end up with a working bootgen? )

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I can reproduce the same problem on windows now, basically after installing the SDK I am getting an error when I call bootgen "Error: could not find 64-bit executable" , with the folder Bootgen\2018.2\bin\unwrapped missing. It then complains that the file Bootgen\2018.2\bin\unwrapped\win64.o\bootgen.exe does not exist. So the issue is reproducing on both windows and linux.

This is blocking my project. Can you please send me a tar file with a working version of bootgen ? Again I just need to create a bootloader for VxWorks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi memo,

I just installed Bootgen Standalone from SDK 2018.3 and it worked fine:

bootgen_ubuntu_install.PNG

I also installed Bootgen 2018.2 standalone for Windows and the folder "unwrapped" is there.

If it was a few MB, I'd send it to you, but there's a lot of libraries and I'm not sure of the dependencies.
I can send you the unwrapped folder, maybe that does the trick. Send me your personal address either though here or Private Message.

Thanks,
Andres

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Copying the libraries into the install folder fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos