cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

petalinux error Hsi 55-2023

We are developing a system on a custom board using a XZCU9EG, booting petalinux from flash.  Recently we have encountered an error after exporting a new hdf file.  This error prevents us from building a new image.  The relevent portion of the build log is:

~/scs/dcon/dcondp> petalinux-config --get-hw-description=/home/dcon/scs/dcon/appdev/hwdescr/dcondp
INFO: Getting hardware description...
INFO: Rename GREEN.hdf to system.hdf
[INFO] generating Kconfig for project
ERROR: [Hsi 55-2023] No IPI block design hardware handoff files present in the hardware definition file /home/dcon/scs/dcon/dcondp/project-spec/hw-description/system.hdf
ERROR: [Hsi 55-1451] Error: running open_hw_design.
ERROR: Failed to generate /home/dcon/scs/dcon/dcondp/build/misc/config/Kconfig.syshw
ERROR: Failed to Kconfig project
ERROR: Failed to generate System hardware Kconfig file.

We have looked at similar posts in the forum.  The top level of the hierarchy is a .vhd file that wraps the block diagram.  The block diagram validates with no errors or critical warnings.  Unzipping the hdf file shows the normal .hwf file and all of the usual tcl and xml files. 

Where should I look for more clues?  What can cause this error and how can it be resolved?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: petalinux error Hsi 55-2023

Hi @bruce_karaffa 

Check https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/70160.html Try regenerating the Vivado design and export it to HDF. 

0 Kudos

Can ypu open the <plnx proj>/build/config.log and share the error message there please?

Also, can you share your HDF?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

First some possibly relevant details omitted from my original post.  I'm running Vivado 2019.1 on Windows 10. 

@jadhavs We saw that post.  As noted in my original post, the top level in the hierarchy is a vhdl wrapper for the block diagram.  We had successfully built the project, exported and built PetaLinux quite a few times.  I did not notice if the top level was a vhdl wrapper or just a bd, but I have to assume it was a wrapper since it worked many times.  I changed the settings on the AXI DMA blocks, built and exported.  This is when we first had problems building PetaLinux from the exported hdf file.  We saw the post that you referenced, checked and sure enough there was no top level wrapper.  I generated one and rebuilt.  I may also have reset the project, I don't remember.  Anyway Petalinux built after that, at least once or twice.  After that, it stopped building with the same error.  The vhdl wrapper is still there.

@stephenm I can't share the config.log file that shows the error.  The project builds again, so there is no error.  I had to delete three system ILAs from the block diagram and everything magically started working again.  While I find this annoying because the ILAs have been there for a while and things used to work with them in place, considering the eccentricities of Vivado in project mode, I can't say I'm all that surprised.  Can't share the hdf file, there would be way too much work removing or obfuscating proprietary information.

The ILAs are interesting and may hold a clue.  I have a similar project, started in 2017.1 and moved to 2019.1.  There are system ILAs on that block diagram in similar places.  These ILAs are not OOC.  I added system ILAs to this project and they are OOC and I cannot change that.  I have several other very similar projects and I fully expect to go through this a couple more times.  When I changed the AXI DMA blocks in those projects, I noticed that there was no wrapper for the bd so I had to regenerate them.  I wish I had looked for the wrapper before changing the AXI DMAs but that didn't happen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ok, if it fails again then have a look at the config.log as this will tell you exactly what is wrong. My guess (based on what you described) could be the processor is not found in the HDF.

0 Kudos