cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone use 8B/10B encoder/decoder in GTH?

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can you explain why 8B/10B encoder or decoder in GTH are not used in example or default setting?

If I choose HDMI at video phy or GT wizard, the default setting does not use the embedded 8B/10B coding in GTH.

I also saw the xapp1275 example, it doesn't use GTH 8B/10B block.

I wondered why all the default setting and example do not use the block in GTH.

Do you know what's the reason?

Sincerely,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @Anonymous

It is just the All the HDMi and Display port encoding ,as per the spec, which will include 8b/10b encoding is done with in the respective cores  and Hence  the 8B/10B feature in the GTH transceivers is bypassed.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

g,

8B10B uses the channel less efficiently (10 bits used to send 8), so unless the application requires it, it will not be used.  Coincidence of what was chosen.  Generally, you design to meet a standard, so you do not have a choice.  Either its used, or no.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @Anonymous

HDMi subsystem+vidphy design do not use all the features in GTH transceivers like 8b10b encoding,
The necessary encoding as per HDMi standards is performed internal to the core and transceivers are used  merely to send out  or receive serialized  parallel data aprropriately

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for replies.

I also knew HDMI subsystem and video phy do not use the embedded 8B/10B coding in transceiver.

But the reason is not still clear to me. The 8B/10B coding feature has existed long time. Even I can see it in 7 series. But if it is not still used, I wondered the reason is that the GT transceiver 8B/10B coding is not enough to support HDMI or Displayport or

just designers' preference.

Sincerely,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @Anonymous

It is just the All the HDMi and Display port encoding ,as per the spec, which will include 8b/10b encoding is done with in the respective cores  and Hence  the 8B/10B feature in the GTH transceivers is bypassed.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks
Bharath

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Either its the protocol that does not support it or the example design be default does not enable it or the default setting is the way it has been set to. Otherwise there is no restriction or limitation to use 8b/10b.
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for clarification.

Now, I understood GTH 8B/10B coder is not for HDMI and DP.

HDMI or DP has its own 8B/10B coding method.

Th GTH 8B/10B implements a standard (general) 8B/10B coder, which can be used for Aurora.

Sincerely,