UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer ravics
Observer

Axes for FFT

Jump to solution

( SysGen) FFT o/p (xk_re) plotting on Wavescope. Need to extract points & plot so have taken o/p of FFT Core to WORKSPACE.

The x-axis shows the simulation time specified in the Simulink Model. How can I change it to frequency domain?

I want the exact values of the frequency.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Axes for FFT

Jump to solution

RIght, System Generator doesn't have a log10 block readily available. If you do some research you will probably find some algorithms for log10 calculation that you could implement in other building blocks in System Generator.

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I don't think WaveScope has the ability to display in the frequency domain as it is intended to allow you to observe the time-changing values of any wires in the design. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

try spectrum scope

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

First of all I would suggest you grab a textbook or google FFT to get basic understanding of how FFT works.

A few points:

* FFT results are complex, so you will need to use both xk_re and xk_im outputs.

* You can never get the exact frequency of your input frequency using FFT. FFT puts the input signal into different "frequency bins". The width of each bin is the sampling frequency divided by the transform size (width=Fs/N). This is where xk_index output comes into play. xk_index=0 represents the first frequency bin (0 to Fs/N), xk_index=1 represents the 2nd frquency bin (Fs/N to 2*Fs/N), and so on. So you will need to use xk_index output to figure out the input frequency. E.g. if you see a big spike at xk_index = 5, then the input has a frequency component in the bin [5*Fs/N 6*Fs/N).

* If your input is a real signal, the FFT output is symmetric. So you can discard the output from N/2 to N.

@ravics wrote:

( SysGen) FFT o/p (xk_re) plotting on Wavescope. Need to extract points & plot so have taken o/p of FFT Core to WORKSPACE.

The x-axis shows the simulation time specified in the Simulink Model. How can I change it to frequency domain?

I want the exact values of the frequency.

Cheers,
Jim
Tags (1)
Observer ravics
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks Jim.

My xk_index values are NOT consecutive values (like +001, +002)..I'm however able to find the approximate frequency using xk_index value.

Since FFT results are complex should both real & imaginary components be considered for obtaining the FFT points? Is any manipulation of xk_re & xk_im (like adding the two) necessary to extract FFT points? 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

By default, the xk_index is in bit reverse order. You can change it to "natural order" (check the properties window of the FFT block) and then xk_index will come out sequentially.

You will need to check the magnitude of xk_re and xk_im (the real and imaginary part of the complex output). As I suggested, it'd be beneficial to go back to a textbook and go over the FFT stuff.

@ravics wrote:

Thanks Jim.

My xk_index values are NOT consecutive values (like +001, +002)..I'm however able to find the approximate frequency using xk_index value.

Since FFT results are complex should both real & imaginary components be considered for obtaining the FFT points? Is any manipulation of xk_re & xk_im (like adding the two) necessary to extract FFT points? 

Cheers,
Jim
Observer ravics
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks Jim.

I would like to know how the fft o/p can be scaled to obtain dB scale on y-axis.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

In hardware or software?

@ravics wrote:

Thanks Jim.

I would like to know how the fft o/p can be scaled to obtain dB scale on y-axis.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Observer ravics
Observer

Jump to solution

Software.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It's easy in software, but I will leave it to you to figure out what "dB" is and go from there.

@ravics wrote:

Software.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer ravics
Observer

Jump to solution

Do i need to use Cordic Log block to scale?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

If you're only instersted in log scale in SW, you can simply use the log function in Matlab.

If you need to implement it in HW, you could use the Cordic Log block. Keep in mind though the Cordic core calculates natural logarithm (base e) not the log10 (base 10).

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Observer ravics
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks Jim.

So there's no other way to find log base 10 using System Generator which could be implemented in H/W? 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

RIght, System Generator doesn't have a log10 block readily available. If you do some research you will probably find some algorithms for log10 calculation that you could implement in other building blocks in System Generator.

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Jim,

I just ran my 256 pts fft and I am getting out 256 bins.  Shouldn't I expect only 128 bins from 256 pts fft?  what's the other 128 bins? 

b

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

If your input is real, you only need to look at 128 bins. The other half is just the image of the first half, which you can ignore.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Observer mohamed.shfat
Observer

Jump to solution

Could you please explain to me how could i find the approximate frequency of my spectrum using Xk_index ? i tried to find a way but i failed . My point size is 512 so the Xk_index is 9 bins , i just want to know how to find the freq bu this index . 

0 Kudos