UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant geschema1
Participant

DDS Phase Dithering and Taylor Series Correction

Jump to solution

I have configured the DDS Compiler as follows:

• System clock: 10 MHz
  • Phase width: 24 bits
  • Output width: 12 bits
  • Phase angle width (computed by DDS compiler): 12 bits

Without any noise shaping, DDS Compiler reports an SFDR of 72 dB

Using the same DDS configuration, I noticed that enabling the noise shaping features either have no effect (with phase dithering enabled, I still get a SFDR of 72 dB) or give worse SFDRs (66 dB for Taylor series correction). In my understanding, noise shaping is supposed to increase SFDR. Am I missing something?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: DDS Phase Dithering and Taylor Series Correction

Jump to solution
check page 41 figure 4-1 to understand relationship
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/dds_compiler/v6_0/pg141-dds-compiler.pdf
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
check page 41 figure 4-1 to understand relationship
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/dds_compiler/v6_0/pg141-dds-compiler.pdf
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Participant geschema1
Participant

Jump to solution

Thanks @balkris. That's useful information.

The thing that confused me was that turning phase dithering on did not increase SFDR. That's because when enablling dithering, DDS compiler automatically reduces the truncated phase word length by two bits, which yields the same SFDR as the original truncated phase word length with dithering off.

0 Kudos