UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor boothby
Visitor

DSP48E1 comparator timing

I've been reading over this forum, DS183 and UG479 and haven't found an answer to the following...

I'm attempting to use a DSP48E1 as an "a<b" comparator.  My application calls for a boatload of comparators running simultaneously; roughly speaking, each comparator is responsible for finding the minimum of a stream* of values.  The common advice I see in the forum is to use the deepest pipeline possible to maximize the operating frequency.

The resulting latency does not come "free," as I see claimed in several answers, since the inputs of each comparison depends on the last (and I can't accumulate the minimum into P). So my question is: if I'm not using the multiplier or the pattern detector, what's the maximum frequency I can get away with?  Additionally, do I need "all" registers to attain that performance, or can I skip some?  I'm using a xc7vx690t-2.

* my actual application is more complex than just streams of data, so splitting them and taking a minimum at the end is less efficient than I'd like

0 Kudos
1 Reply

回复: DSP48E1 comparator timing

DSP48E1 hard back has a set internal registers, if none of the internal registers are set, the DSP48E1 operates as a combinatorial logic, and it will have a long delay, so DSP48E1 runs at slower clock rate if NO register is configured. 

0 Kudos