Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Development flow Sysgen with EDK processor import

Hello,

I have created a simulink model with an imported EDK processor and then imported the netlist generated project into ISE to add to a bigger project. I generate a bit file in ISE and then import the ISE .bit file and the ISE .bmm file with the EDK .xml file into SDK for software development and debugging. However I am not able to connect SDK to the microblaze processor in system generator to update and debug the c code.

I don't know if i have the right development approach for a imported EDK processor into system generator and I could not find anything except co-simulation flow in the system generator user guide which uses the export to SDK feature and bypasses the ISE environment.

Thank you in advance,

Donny

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Development flow Sysgen with EDK processor import

Hello, Donny.

Are there some constraints that do not allow you to export System Generator model as pcore to EDK project?

I think it's more natural way to design DSP systems with MicroBlaze support.

Best Regards,
Vitaly.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Vitaly

The majority of my design is in System Generator and I will spend most of my time debugging the design in sysgen while I use the microblaze only as a data relay processor between the algorithms designed in sysgen and the ethernet port.

Due to this I figured that it would be easier to design the system using the EDK Processor Import instead of always having to export as pcore in sysgen and then compile in EDK to test the sysgen design. 

I think my problem is with providing the correct clock to the Microblaze because I get a response from the custom logic but no response from the Microblaze. However I have configured the Microblaze in EDK to accept a 200 MHz clock and provide it from a DCM from a external crystal using a differential signal pair (ML605 demo board) and still no sign of life from the processor. Am i suppose to describe any other ports in my UCF so SDK can communicate with the microblaze?

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Donny

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the problem. When the EDK configures the project for the ML605 development board, it configures the inputs to the Microblaze clock generator to be from a differential clock source on the development board. So when I tried to include it into a larger system the clock was different and the microblaze could not work.

When I changed the Microblaze clock generator to accept a internal clock from a custom DCM, it started working without any problems and connects the shared memories mapped in system generator.

Donny