UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer dblogicdesign
Observer

Divider Generator v5.1 high-radix fractional output format

I am trying to understand the output format of a High-Radix Divider Generator, particularly the fractional portion.  I generated and simulated two versions of my divider to compare, one using a  Radix-2 implementation and the other using High-Radix, both with signed inputs.  In PG151, for Radix-2 mode, the fractional part of the output is defined as having a sign bit.  So for my desired 16-bit fractional output, I defined it as 17-bit in the IP Generator and the simulation results are as expected.  Using a similar approach for High-Radix, I get different simulation results.

Simulation:

Radix-2:  dividend = -2622 (decimal), divisor = 1639 (decimal), quotient = 0xffffff6677 (integer = 0xfffff = -1, fraction = 0x16677 = -0.6).  This makes sense as -2622/1639 = -1.6

High-Radix:  dividend = -2622 (decimal), divisor = 1639 (decimal), quotient = 0xfffffccced - this does not make sense.  If the fractional portion is 0x0cced (17-bits), that equals 0.4 using 17-bit fractional unsigned definition, or 0.8 using a 16-bit signed definition (as is the case in Radix-2).  That leaves an integer portion of 0xffffe which is -2.

Can someone explain how to correctly intrepret the High-Radix output?  It is not defined well in PG151.  I suspect the simulation is correct and that the two modes differ in output format.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

回复: Divider Generator v5.1 high-radix fractional output format

Check the "implementation details" tab on the Divider Generator IP GUI, which tells the user how the data is mapped.

0 Kudos
Observer dblogicdesign
Observer

Thanks nathanx, but that only says the fractional portion is in the 16 LSBs.  It does not explain the results I outlined.  In my example the fractional portion should equal 0.6 (or possibly -0.6 as in the Radix-2 format), but instead it equals 0.8 (i.e. 0xCCED => 52461/65536 = 0.8) .  And the integer portion should equal -1 but instead it equals -4 (0xFFFC = -4).

This is either a bug in the High-Radix implementation, or (more likely) I am not understanding how to interpret the bit-fields correctly, and if so, the Xilinx documentation is lacking.

0 Kudos

Can you share your parameter configuration of Divider Generator?

0 Kudos
Observer dblogicdesign
Observer

Here are configuration screenshots of the High-Radix implementation.  If it matters, I am not using this as part an AXI-bus based system.  Using Vivado 2018.2.divider_ch_settings.PNGdivider_options.PNG

0 Kudos

Can you also share the radix-2 configuration? Is it the same with High-radix configuration? PG151 Equation 3-1, 3-2 and 3-3 provide details on how to calculate the quotient and frational remainder.

Can you also show the simulation waveform of Raidx-2 and High-radix which has all the inputs and outputs of Divider Generator IP core?

0 Kudos
Observer dblogicdesign
Observer

A friend helped me to figure this out.  As I suspected, I was not interpreting the High-Radix result correctly.  I was seeing a fractional value of 0.4 and a integer value of -2, and when added together you get -1.6 which is the correct answer.  For some reason, I was thinking the fractional portion should've worked out to be 0.6 and the integer portion to -1 and then concatenated together, you'd get -1.6.  I am not sure why I thought the two pieces could be concatenated together that way vs. added together.  Stupid mistake in hindsight.

The Radix-2 implementation has a signed fractional portion, and it has a value of -0.6, and the integer value is -1.  Added together you also get -1.6.  Maybe this different format had got me thinking that the High-Radix result should also have a fractional portion with a magnitude of 0.6?  In any case, problem solved.

0 Kudos