UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Error using System Generator

Jump to solution

Hi,

I know there are threads about this, and I've tried everything I could.

I have a laptop, where I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with Vivado 17.4, and matlab R2018b.

System generator works, and the FIR example seems to be able to import the DSP Digital FIR Filter block successfully.

Now, I've just set up a brand-new SSD, with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Vivado 18.2, and matlab R2018b. Notice that the only difference is the Vivado version.

System generator works, but the FIR example:

-When I try to add the Digital FIR Filter block from the Xilinx DSP library, it takes ages.

It ends up adding the block, launching this warning:

Warning: The System Generator GUI socket server timedout while waiting for an incoming socket connection. To tune the acceptTimeout value in the xlServerSocketOptions.m file. The xlServerSocketOptions.m file is on your MATLAB path and can be edited by typing 'edit xlServerSocketOptions.m' in the MATLAB console.

-When I try to double click on the block, to edit it, again, it takes ages and then it prompts the following error in a window:

Error evaluating 'OpenFcn' callback of Xilinx FIR Block Block block (mask) 'Lab1_1/Digital FIR Filter'. Callback string is 'xlOpenGui(gcbh, 'fir_gui.xml', @fir_enablement, @fir_action)' 

Error using xlNMIProxy Timed out waiting for a response from GUI to: (131.0004) buildGUI DISPLAY ENV = ":1" timeout value = 180.0011

Any help please? I configured and installed both tools with the same paths as in my laptop.

Both 64 bits machines.

Regards,

Timoteo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Error using System Generator

Jump to solution

I can confirm that installing KDE solves this problem.

sudo apt-get install kde-full

I got working Ubuntu 18.04 LTS + Matlab R2018b + Vivado 18.2, no problems importing the DSP blocks from Xilinx anymore.

Regards,

Timoteo

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Any help on this?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Timoteo,

As per the Vivado release notes, 2018.2 is not yet compatible with Matlab 2018b on an Ubuntu based system. Please see the below pic for the list of Thirdparty tools supported by Vivado 2018.2 on different operating system.

Vivado 2017.3  is compatible with Matlab 2017 versions on the ubuntu operating system. Please see the bottom pic showing the same.

You can refer to UG973 for both 2018.2 and 2017.3 for list of supported OS and 3rd party compatible softwares.

P.S : First pic is for Vivado 2018.2 and second pic for Vivado 2017.3

Regards,

Vivek

viv2018rel.PNG
viv2017_rel.PNG
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Please refer to the last column of the last row in both the pics. 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks.

I've installed Vivado 17.4, and it behaves exactly the same.

Help on this problem? I'm not the only one:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-IP-and-Tools/System-Generator-OpenFcn-error/td-p/893160

And I see that you answered the same in here:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-IP-and-Tools/Sysgen-2018-2-and-Matlab-R2018A-starting-errors-in-Linux/td-p/900890

Please, we both know that Vivado 18.2 doesn't differ from 17.4 in this matter. Still, I installed it, and Table 2-2 confirms it's compatible, so could you help me please to solve this problem?

If the answer is going to be: we only support Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, I will erase the whole SSD, install Ubuntu 16.04.03 LTS, install Matlab 18b, install Vivado 17.4, and when it fails, come back with the same question.

Best regards,

Timoteo

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I can confirm that installing KDE solves this problem.

sudo apt-get install kde-full

I got working Ubuntu 18.04 LTS + Matlab R2018b + Vivado 18.2, no problems importing the DSP blocks from Xilinx anymore.

Regards,

Timoteo

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

@timoteo.gb

Thanks for sharing the correct answer. It seem there is some problem in SysGem with GNOME desktop.

A similar problem is resolved using KDE in https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-IP-and-Tools/System-Generator-OpenFcn-error/td-p/893160/page/3

/ 7\7     Meher Krishna Patel, PhD
\ \        Senior Product Application Engineer, Xilinx
/ /        
\_\/\7   It is not so much that you are within the cosmos as that the cosmos is within you...
0 Kudos