Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

FIR Compiler 7.2 Resource Efficiency

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have configured the FIR Compiler for an 11 tap FIR decimating 2:1. The input clock rate is 1/4 the sample rate so 4 samples are applied to the input every clock cycle (Super Sample Rate is 4).  The coefficients are symmetrical.  Input data and coefficients are both 16 bits.

I expected ((4 samples/clk * 11 Taps)/2 symmetric coefficients/2 decimation) or 11 multiplers. 

The actual number of multiplers is 22 which leads me to believe there is no resource reuse based on the decimation rate.  Is there a way to configure the FIR Complier to realize a resource reduction based on the decimation factor?

Regards,

Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: FIR Compiler 7.2 Resource Efficiency

Jump to solution

Capture.PNG

I think the above is the issue.

www.xilinx.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Some additional information.

I built the same FIR but set the input sample period = 1.  The result was a FIR that used only 3 multipliers, which is what I would expect roundup(11taps/2 symmetry/2 decimation).  It appears that when the FIR is operating with an input sample period that is a fraction (1/4) of the clock period, configuring the filter for decimation will not improve the resource reuse. Is this a known deficiency for the SSR version of the FIR?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Capture.PNG

I think the above is the issue.

www.xilinx.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos