UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor davidh94
Visitor

FIR Compiler Question: how to control the 'unit delay'?

Hello,

I have been implementing a few different DSP systems on a Xilinx Kintex-7 using verilog code, system generator and/or a combination of both. 

I can not get the FIR IP core to produce my desired output because I am unsure how to properly control the speed of the 'unit delays'. As of right now, all I have done is loaded my coefficients and compiled. This would mean that each unit delay/zero order hold/register  (or whatever you want to call it!)  in the chain of the FIR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_impulse_response#/media/File:FIR_Filter.svg

is based on the system clk speed (245.76 MHz). Of course, I need the delays to be based on the actual ADC rate  e.g. 5MHz. I do the down sampling manually before I input this signal into the FIR filter. I do this using registers and a counter to get an output as  245.76MHz / n  where I control n. I set n depending on the project, but usually it's around n=25-50 which gives sample rates varying between  ~5-10 MHz.

I see many potentially relevant settings with the FIR compiler and I have read another thread but it did not help as this person was talking about something slightly different.  There is 'Hardware Oversampling Specification' where I tried "Format: Input sample period",  "Sample period:  n"  and it did not work. Also, there is control options and a CLKEN.

Can anyone please help me? 

A tldr version of my question: Given that I want to pass a signal sampled at 5 MHz through a FIR filter and my clock speed is 245.76 MHz, how do I configure the FIR IP core in System Generator to make each delay in the FIR  (i.e. time between moving data through buffer) correspond with  T_d=1/5MHz  not  T_d=1/245.76MHz?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

回复: FIR Compiler Question: how to control the 'unit delay'?

Since your clock speed is 245.76 MHz, the delay of one clock cycle is 1/(245.76 MHz), so to get delay of (1/5MHz), you can use with multiple clock cycles.

0 Kudos
Visitor davidh94
Visitor

Hello, thank you for the reply

I understand the concept, I have programmed my own IIRs and have done register buffer with a counter so that I can get the feedback in my IIR to match my input rate. My question comes from the fact that I am planning to do a very large FIR, so I want to use the Xilinx IP core as it's very efficient.

With respct to the Xilinx FIR compiler, which settings should I use?  I've read the FIR compiler pdf and am still left confused about what to do  as what I tried did not work

0 Kudos

If you are using the FIR compiler, you need to work within the boundaries of the AXI stream.  Design your filter for a system clock rate of 246 MHz and an input rate of your fastest rate, say 10MHz.  Use your clock divider/sample decimator to produce a tvalid signal for the input of the FIR.  The tvalid on the output will tell you when a filtered sample is ready. 

0 Kudos