cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Hardware Co-Simulation: Error configuring device

Hi,

I am using System Generator v8.2 and ISE v8.2.3 and an Altium Evaluation Board with Xilinx Spartan III xc3s1000 FPGA.
I am trying to do a hardware co-simulation of a simple multiplier, I have created a new compilation target and sucessfully generated the compilation. The error occurs when I run the simulation, I receive the following message:

Error configuring device: A problem may exist in the hardware configuration.  Check that the cable, scan chain, and power connections are intact, that the specified scan chain configuration matches the actual hardware, and that the power supply is adequate and delivering the correct voltage.
I know that the device is connected and the JTAG configuration is correct as I can sucessfully program a bit file onto the FPGA using IMPACT. I have followed all steps according to the help files and can not think of any reason why System Generator can't talk to the board when IMPACT can.
How can I check if my cable is Parallel III or IV?

Does anyone have any sugestions or solutions for this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mic

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Cable III can't be used for Hardware Co-Sim. The Cable IV data sheet as below may be help you to recognise the Cable:

The other thing you can try it to use USB cable.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

some other things to keep in mind...

In iMPACT the console window will tell you if you're connected to a parallel III or IV cable (it should also say on the end of the cable pod).  This will also tell you what connection speed it was able to use to identify the chain.  Additionally the parallel IV cable requires an external power supply or dongle adapter for power from your mouse port.  a parallel III cable gets its power solely from your board.

Also, make sure you've closed iMPACT or at least disconnected the cable before trying the hw co-sim.  Both iMPACT and System Generator cannot have the cable "open" at the same time.  If iMPACT still has ownership of the cable HW co-sim will not work.

In your hw co-sim block, make sure you've selected the correct cable to use. 

Another thing to check is that the board files created to run hw co-sim with your board.  Double check the jtag chain info used.  Are the instruction register lenghts used correct?  Are there any non-Xilinx parts in the chain?  Is the position of the Spartan-3 in the chain accurate?  (counting starts at 1 for this not 0)

I hope it helps!  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I have also seen issues with the Parallel Port setting and failing to power the board, to cause configuration errors as well.  If you have problems connecting with the board via iMPACT, then you may want to search the Xilinx Answer Records for iMPACT related Answer Records.
Chris
Versal ACAP: AI Engines | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks everyone for your help.

I am running only on a Parallel III cable and as I have an Altium board, not a Xilinx which has the 14 pin connector I will probably have to scrap the Hardware co-sim.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I hope, my problem is related to this topic....

I use ml403 board to co-simuation. I made the  config files, supported this board, but i am not shure all data are correct.
I made the hw co-sim block for this new ml403 hardware, connecting to the pc with pc4 parallel cabel. This cabel is working with iMPACT.

I start the simulation, but i receve this error messages:
-------------------
Error loading the library: libCseJtag.dll

Please ensure the library and all its dependent libraries exist and can be located on the library search paths.
Error occurred during "Simulation Initialization".

--------------------

It seems me, this is a path problem, I tried to set the path in the Windows and in the Matlab too, but it seems, no effects.
Janos Tolgyesi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please open a WebCase with Xilinx technical support to get assistance with this specific issue.
http://www.xilinx.com/support/clearexpress/websupport.htm
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dear jeffryh!

Thank you for your answer and propose to use this professional support service.
But before this I need to check again my hardware setup, because I explored some irregular behavioure of it. If I start to programing the Virtex 4 with the iMPACT and the pc4, the programing is finished suceesfull, to read the id-s and the registers are successfull too, but to verify the programing return a failed error.
In the ISE console appears this error message:
// *** BATCH CMD : Verify -p 3
Maximum TCK operating frequency for this device chain: 0.
Validating chain...
Boundary-scan chain validated successfully.
ERROR:Bitstream:2 - The input file "C:/Xilinx/dsptools/9.2.00.967/sysgen/examples/shared_memory/hardware_cosim/frame_acc/netlist/hw_cosim_cw.msk" does not exist.  Please check that the specified location is correct and that the bitstream was successfully created.
ERROR:iMPACT:123 - Mask file C:/Xilinx/dsptools/9.2.00.967/sysgen/examples/shared_memory/hardware_cosim/frame_acc/netlist/hw_cosim_cw.msk is invalid.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.

Its really the case, I dont find any mask file.
I have the feeling, the original error under the co-simulation
Error loading the library: libCseJtag.dll
comes from here too.

We are working in a small university project, our aim is to make a working demo on the ml403 board with video processing design, and this is, why we start to learn the co-simulations.
But the main problem is, we was succesfull to build co-simulation modell from only the fir filter example. We tried to build the conv5x5_video example too, but it was too large for our Virtex device. We know this example was developed originaly to the ml402 board.
We havenot idea, which part of this video design is too large, we tried to reduce the size of the memory puffer blocks, but it seems, it is not enough. The question is, are there any working modell wich need fewer resources in the fpga? Or what can do? We havenot too much practice to get overview of such big modells, and modify it.
Thank you for your help.
t.janos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

A search of the error message you're seeing pulls up this answer record that explains why you're getting it:
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?iCountryID=1&iLanguageID=1&getPagePath=22228

I don't think this is related to the dll error you're seeing.  I suspect there may be a problem with the tools installation. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dear Jeffreyh,
Thank you for your link to the answer record # 22228
If I build a fress lib/model for co-simulation, the problem canot appeares, with the new lib the co-simulation starts to download without problems.
I try to build the shared_memory/conv5x5_video/con5x5_video_ex model to run on our ml403 board. It can be built, and download, but sometimes send it this error:
-------------------
Error reported by S-function 'xlfromshmem''cpnv5x5_video_testbench/FPGA_ProcessingShared_Memory_Read'
- The hardware co-simulation block timed out while waiting for shared memory named <Bar> to release its block.
-------------------
Someties run the simulation without errors, but the input video stream appears in the video viewer only, the video viewer with the output, processed video stream remain black.
Sometimes start in all the two video viewers go up separated pictures from the video stream, but very slowly.
I think all this go from the problem of the synchronisation of the two memory buffers, around the video processing blocks in the co-simulation environment.
We didnot modified the control of this memory block.
In this time we havenot any idea, how can trace this problem.
Can you propose us something usefull?

Janos Tolgyesi
Mahsa Nemati

Message Edited by tjanos on 11-07-2007 08:42 AM
0 Kudos