Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlui
Observer
Observer

Hilbert Transforms in FIR Compiler

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am new to using the ISE design suite and I was wondering how I can use the FIR Compiler in the Core Generator to apply Hilbert Transforms. I am using the ISE Design Suite 12.1: DSP Edition and FIR Compiler v5.0.

Looking through the FIR compiler documentation, it seems that I should be able to set the Hilbert Transform in the Coefficient Structure, however I can't see it. Is this option not availble in this version of the FIR Compiler? Or is there something I'm missing?

Also, adding this transform can be done by adding it as a "new source"? Is that correct? Does this mean that the filter will be applied to the board at all times?

Thanks in advance for the help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eschei
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi David,

In this case, there is a requirement by the FIR Compiler that the end coefficients are not zero. There is an explanation for this on page40 of the datasheet. You can remove the first and last zero coefficients which do not contribute to the result. I tested this out and it seems to work fine.

Cheers,

Elliot

View solution in original post

6 Replies
eschei
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

When you open the FIR Compiler Coregen GUI, the Hilbert Transform can be selected in the Coefficient Structure pull-down menu under the implementation tab. In order for this function to be used, the Coefficients must correspond to a Hilbert filter.The coefficients are typically generated outside of Coregen, then imported as a .COE file.

For example, you can use the Matlab fdesign.hilbert function to create your coefficients, then create a .COE file that contains these coefficients and use this COE file with the FIR Compiler.

I don't fully understand your final question, but I think you are correct regarding adding the filter as a 'new source'. If you are starting from scratch, use 'new source' to add the FIR Compiler core to the project. Coregen will generate all the necessary files in the project directory, then you instantiate the FIR Compiler Core into your HDL design. Once you do this, the filter will be always be part of the design.

Cheers,

Elliot

0 Kudos
eschei
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Clarification:

In the Coregen GUI, select 'Hilbert' from the Coefficient Structure pull-down.

This pull-down menu is located on the second page of the GUI, not under the implementation tab.

0 Kudos
dlui
Observer
Observer

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
dgjohnson
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing without success (FIR Compiler 5, ISE 12.2). Having generated the .coe file for a Hilbert transformer in Matlab (see attached), the 'Coefficient Structure' tab is only giving me the option of: Inferred, Non Symmetric or Negative Symmetric (for Systolic MAC) - no Hilbert. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

David

0 Kudos
eschei
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi David,

In this case, there is a requirement by the FIR Compiler that the end coefficients are not zero. There is an explanation for this on page40 of the datasheet. You can remove the first and last zero coefficients which do not contribute to the result. I tested this out and it seems to work fine.

Cheers,

Elliot

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eschei

i am implementing hilbert transform in system generator .i gnerated  the filter coefficient  using matlab (fdesign) with alternative zeros and non zero end coefficient .But when i passed the coefficients to FIR compiler it does not show the option of hilbert transform in filter structure. is it possible to design hilbert transform using system generator?

Best Regards

Aye

0 Kudos