UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor zhout24801
Visitor

How to output a signal using system generator?

Jump to solution
Hello all,

I am using a simple model in system generator for Virtex 4 xc4vsx35-10ff668.

sine wave ---> Gateway in --->DAC1--->scope

The system generator model runs good to simulate the output wave in simulink. 
But when I connect the DAC1 to the oscilloscope, I got nothing.

How to configure the model so that I can get actual output wave from the DAC port on the board?
Do I need to connect a signal generator to the ADC port? Or is there other way to get output wave on oscilloscope using system generator?

Somebody helps me please, I am really new to this.

Thanks ahead.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to output a signal using system generator?

Jump to solution

Several options for the sine wave input:

1. As you mentioned, connect a signal generator to the ADC 
  2. Generate the sine wave inside FPGA using DDS block
  3. Generate the sine wave using Simulink source and send the signal to the FPGA via hardware cosim.

A couple of options to get the output to the DAC:

1. Generate a full bitstream with correct pin locations matching your target board and then download the bitstream to the FPGA
  2. If you use hardware cosim, you will need to define non-memory mapped ports for the IOs driving the DAC.

Cheers,

Jim

Cheers,
Jim
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Several options for the sine wave input:

1. As you mentioned, connect a signal generator to the ADC 
  2. Generate the sine wave inside FPGA using DDS block
  3. Generate the sine wave using Simulink source and send the signal to the FPGA via hardware cosim.

A couple of options to get the output to the DAC:

1. Generate a full bitstream with correct pin locations matching your target board and then download the bitstream to the FPGA
  2. If you use hardware cosim, you will need to define non-memory mapped ports for the IOs driving the DAC.

Cheers,

Jim

Cheers,
Jim
Visitor zhout24801
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for helping me, jimwu.

Now i can see the sine wave in my oscilloscope. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Can I use this block in spartan 3An???? Or what I have to do to use the DAC and the ADC?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Visitor aosers
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to do exactly the same, but it doesnt work, can you please tell me the pins that you asign and what boxes of the toolbox did you use, because I put the DSS v4.0 connected to de DAC and generate the bitstream. I am using ISE 12.1 and matlab 2010b on win 7, and FUSE probe.

Thank you 

Alan

0 Kudos
Visitor acsouza
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am also trying to do the same thing but with a Kintex 7 board that has a FMC150 daughter card attached to it.

I was able to generate the sine wave with a DDS compiler block but I am not sure if I am sending the wave correctly for Hardware co simulation.

I created a Gateway out to send the wave to the DAC channel with the right ports but, I, still can`t see anything in the oscilloscope. Do I have to create ports for the other ports of the DAC also? Like, reset, frames, and etc?

Also, anyway to, actually, see the result in a Simulink scope instead of a oscilloscope? 

0 Kudos