Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
8strings
Observer
Observer

IP Core generation and export to SDK platform

Hello,

I am trying to build up a small measurement system by using EDK.

At the moment I already have generated the firmware with basic peripherals like I2C Master, SPI, DDR3 and Ethernet, at this point I would like to add a small programmable signal generator to the system. For this reason I would like to use System Generator in order to get a block wich takes care of the signal generation. From what I know is possible to generate and test the blocks by hardware co-simulation, and then export the block and drivers all together, so that I can import them into my SDK platform and programm it using my software application.

I have being following the tutorial for the rgb2gray conversion I have found on the Xilinx website, to learn the steps I can use later to generate my signal generator. Since I am working with AXI bus, I have just modified the configuration steps in order to adapt the example to my case.

The generation of the IP is succeding without any problem, after the generation I also get the driver code. Next I just went back to XPS and I have added the IP Core to my system, connecting it to the AXI bus and connecting the clock signal as mentioned on the tutorial.

The prolem is that on the next step, when I export the system for SDK development, on the list of all the peripheral drivers I see my rgb2gray_axiw_0 as a generic block, and under the board support package I just see a folder called "generic_v1_00_a" with a subfolder called "src" (...as it should be..) wich is empty.

I have tried to add a local repository pointing at the folder containing the source code generated by system generator, but still I cannot try to use the IP via software.

Reading thorugh the guide I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, does someone have a tip for me on how to figure this out?

BR,

Giovanni

0 Kudos
5 Replies
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

please refer the attached document. You can get all the steps

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

I had the same problem and I found a solution to your problem: I simply copied and pasted the folder "my_ip_core" to the directory C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\EDK\sw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers .

After that I generated in SDK a new Board Support Package with File/New/Board Support Package and the software finded automatically new drivers for my IPcore.

The SDK software seems to be not able to add drivers saved inside local repositories I added through software with the command  Xilinx Tools/ Repositories.

At least this could be a temporary solution.

Best regards, thanks

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Gottardo
0 Kudos
sampatd
Scholar
Scholar

0 Kudos
8strings
Observer
Observer

Hello,

I have also tried this, but at the moment seems like the only way to make it work for me, is the solution posted from my colleague Giuseppe.

0 Kudos

I am also wondering how you incorporate the .c and .h files produced by System Generator into an application.  While this is outlined in the docs for the case of Netlist Generation, it is not for PCORE export.  The Vivado document does me no good because I am using ISE and even the suggesion to move the pcores\<device instance> to the to the Xilinx install ISE_DS\EDK\software\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers directory did not make it findable by SDK.  Moving the sources directly to the application src seems to work but this is pretty clumsy.  Any solutions would be welcome.

Pat

ISE 14.7

System Generator R2012b

0 Kudos