UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor chilton
Visitor

Multiple Clock Signals

I've created a designed in Simulink which I then use the System Generator to compile into VHDL. However, upon compilation, I find that there are multiple clock signals which the VHDL blackbox uses as ports, called clk_1, clk_2048, and clk_4194304, all with respective enables. Looking into the VHDL code, it seems that each of these clocks are associated with different integrators, differentiators, etc in my design, with no rhyme or reason as to which signal is assocciated with which component. Can these all be tied to the primary clock? Or do they serve a particular purpose? The naming convention seems to suggest they do, but Sysgen offers no explanation as to their purpose. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Visitor chilton
Visitor

Re: Multiple Clock Signals

I just realized - these are probably clocks for components operating at different data rates. Is this the case?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Sysgen shouldn't be creating different clocks for things running at different sample rates. It uses clock enables for that.

Are you using a multiple subsystem generator and defining multiple systems/clocks in the design?

www.xilinx.com
Visitor chilton
Visitor

As far as I know, no. I have one System Generator block at the highest level in my design, which specifies a single clock rate. I believe all of the components in the design are clocked off that signal. Looking over the VHDL more carefully, it does seem that the components where the clk_2048 and clk_4194304 signals are used are all subcomponents of the two 2048:1 CIC filters I've used. 

0 Kudos
Visitor chilton
Visitor

And thanks for your reply :D

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hmm what version of the tools? Can you post your model and/or the _cw.vhd generated by sysgen?
www.xilinx.com
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It looks like sysgen will create clock ports for you if you selected the 'Expose Clock Ports' option in the sysgen token for the 'multirate implementation'
www.xilinx.com
Visitor chilton
Visitor

Thanks again for the responses. I've attached my  _cw.vhd file; I recompiled it with "Clock Enables" as the Multirate Implementation choice, and the problem persists. 

0 Kudos
Visitor chilton
Visitor

Still there?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Below is the entity definition from your _cw.vhd file, which only has one clock input. Did I miss something?

entity derp_cw is
  port (
    acq_en: in std_logic;
    ce: in std_logic := '1';
    clk: in std_logic; -- clock period = 25.0 ns (40.0 Mhz)
    man_freq: in std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);
    pm_en: in std_logic;
    rf_in: in std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);
    rst: in std_logic;
    i_out: out std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);
    nco_addr: out std_logic_vector(13 downto 0);
    pinc_out: out std_logic_vector(59 downto 0);
    q_out: out std_logic_vector(33 downto 0)
  );
end derp_cw;

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos