UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Overclocked DDS

Hello,

Is there a way, or what is the correct way to overclock a Xilinx DDS core? I have a design that samples flow through the system at 50Msamples/second. I generate a variable frequency Cosine/Sine with a DDS being clocked at 50MHz, but then downstream I start processing my 50Msamples/second on a 200MHz clock.

For clock domain purposes, what I think I would like to do is clock the DDS at 200MHz, and when use the Clock enable pin to only enable it every 4th clock, thereby incrementing through the memory/lut at the same rate, using the sample phase increment. The documentation doesn't really address this case, and seems to treat CE like more of a Chip Enable type of signal then a Data enable type of signal.

I know I could just run the DDS at 200MHz with a slower phase increment, but to do so while maintaining the tuning resolution I need, I think that would increase the resource utilization.

Looking at the documentation, it indicates that multiple output channels are supported and that when using this functionality, you effectively time-divide the clock so each channel gets 1/Nth the increments. I'm thinking about using this option and just not connecting the 3 other outputs.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos