UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Sysgen 2018.2 and Matlab R2018A are seemingly NOT compatible

Jump to solution

@anatoli recommended that I re-raise the issue I had described in the Installation and Licensing forum here.

Originally, I questioned whether Matlab R2018a is supported with SysGen 2018.2 because of the misleading documentation I had found on this articled Xilinx question: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55830.html

@anatoli had confirmed that this was probably a mistake and that Xilinx UG973 - Page 6 indicated that Matlab R2018a is supported with SysGen 2018.2.

However, when I tried to see test that Matlab R2018a is compatible with SysGen 2018.2, I ran into the following issue:

After creating a simulink project in Matlab R2018A, I added a Xilinx System Generator Block. If I then double click this System Generator Block I get the following error:

e1.PNG

Do you know how to resolve the above error?

I'm not confident that SysGen 2018.2 is compatible with Matlab R2018A. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Re: Sysgen 2018.2 and Matlab R2018A are seemingly NOT compatible

Jump to solution
I re-ran the System Generator Configurator:
* Remove Matlab R2018a so that it's no longer configured
* Relaunch System Generator Configurator
* Mark Matlab R2018a as configured

After doing the above, I'm no longer seeing the errors and SysGen seems to be working again.

I'm not sure why it needed to be redone...
10 Replies

Jump to solution

I can successfully install and connect them.

And even build some simple projects.

But I found that some IP blocks would assert ERROR when simulating.'[USF-XSim-62] 'elaborate' step failed with error(s)' in system generator 2018.2 when simulating DDS module

I'm not sure whether they are just the 'same' compatible problem

0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

@anatoli / xilinx employees,

Here are the errors being output to Matlab's command window after double clicking the System Generator block from a simulink model:

Warning: Error evaluating 'ModelCloseFcn' callback of Xilinx System Generator Block block (mask) 'xbsIndex_r4/ System Generator'.
Callback string is 'xlSysgenGUI('Close',gcs,gcbh);' 
Warning: Undefined variable "com" or class "com.xilinx.sysgen.util.EnvironmentUtil.isSgPaServerOn". 
Warning: Error evaluating 'DeleteFcn' callback of Xilinx System Generator Block block (mask) 'xbsIndex_r4/ System Generator'.
Callback string is 'xlSysgenGUI('delete', gcs, gcbh);' 
Warning: Cannot open 'xbsIndex_r4' while it is being closed. 
Warning: Error evaluating 'ModelCloseFcn' callback of Xilinx System Generator Block block (mask) 'PDWSimDraft1/ System Generator'.
Warning: Undefined variable "com" or class "com.xilinx.sysgen.util.EnvironmentUtil.isSgPaServerOn". 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak,

1) To me, this is due to SysGen bad/corrupt installation. Can you try reinstalling this into some different location (that you'd have full admin rights) to what you'd done your previous SysGen installation?

2) Can you confirm please, have you installed a new version of System Generator for DSP (v2018.2) into the same directory as the old version e.g. v2017.2?

3) Also, are you able to open Matlab on its own, without using SysGen?
I just want to double check and see if the problem is actually with the Matlab itself (rather than SysGen), as SysGen triggers Matlab.

Therefore, if you navigate to ...../matlab/bin/matlab.exe and try to start matlab directly from this directory, does it work or not?

4) Also, if you right-click on SysGen and do "Run as Administrator", can you start System Generator 2018.2 as admin without seeing the above Warning/Error?

5) Actually, is this just a warning that you can click on "Ignore" to ignore this, or an error and this doesn't let you to proceed any further? The reason i'm asking is because the message above states: 

Warning: Error evaluating 'ModelCloseFcn' callback of Xilinx System Generator Block

Can you please confirm on the above points?

If you have any questions for me, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello @anatoli,

See my responses, below in orange.

1) To me, this is due to SysGen bad/corrupt installation. Can you try reinstalling this into some different location (that you'd have full admin rights) to what you'd done your previous SysGen installation?

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vivado/System Generator 2018.2. I'm still seeing the same described issue.

2) Can you confirm please, have you installed a new version of System Generator for DSP (v2018.2) into the same directory as the old version e.g. v2017.2?

I have already uninstalled Vivado 2017.2.

The only Xilinx products that I currently have installed on my machine are:

- Model Composer 2018.2

- Vivado with System Generator for DSP 2018.2

- SDK 2018.2

- SDK 2017.2

3) Also, are you able to open Matlab on its own, without using SysGen?
I just want to double check and see if the problem is actually with the Matlab itself (rather than SysGen), as SysGen triggers Matlab.

Therefore, if you navigate to ...../matlab/bin/matlab.exe and try to start matlab directly from this directory, does it work or not?

I can launch and use standalone Matlab 2018a without any issues.

4) Also, if you right-click on SysGen and do "Run as Administrator", can you start System Generator 2018.2 as admin without seeing the above Warning/Error?

No, I still see the same error when running as administrator.

5) Actually, is this just a warning that you can click on "Ignore" to ignore this, or an error and this doesn't let you to proceed any further? The reason i'm asking is because the message above states: 

Warning: Error evaluating 'ModelCloseFcn' callback of Xilinx System Generator Block

The error message dialog only has an "OK" button. After clicking OK, the System Generator dialog which contains the tabs Compilation/Clocking/General does not appear.

Can you please confirm on the above points?

Confirmed.

0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

@anatoli, I've found a work around for the time being:

1) Drop the System Generator block into my simulink model file.

2) Save and Close the simulink model.

3) Exit Matlab / System Generator.

4) Relaunch System Generator.

5) Open the simulink model.

6) Double click the System Generator block.

I'll still see the error I described above, but after clicking OK, the dialog will open with this workaround.

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak,

Thanks for your response on the questions asked and for letting us know that you have now managed to workaround this issue.

Unfortunately, I've done all I could from my side to help you out with this issue as much as possible, however this is now something above my knowledge, as I am not a SysGen expert and have no idea why this Warning/Error occurs in your case.

However, I'm glad to hear you have managed to figure out a WA for this issue and at least you can now continue with your design.

Thanks once again and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

I appreciate your help @anatoli...is there anyone else out there from Xilinx who can help?

The problem is worse when I select any other Xilinx block... 

Here's the prompt I see when I click on a newly added Constant Block:

ErrorMsg.png

Along with this error message:

Warning: The following error was caught while executing 'xlSocketServer_impl' class destructor:
Undefined variable "com" or class "com.xilinx.sysgen.socketinterface.NativeMatlabInterface.getInstance".

Error in xlNMIProxy

Error in xlNMIProxy

Error in xlSocketServer_impl/delete

Error in xlSocketServer_impl

Error in xlSocketServer_impl.getInstance

Error in xlSocketServer

Error in xlXBlockGUIClass

Error in xlOpenGui 
> In xlSocketServer_impl
  In xlSocketServer_impl.getInstance
  In xlSocketServer
  In xlXBlockGUIClass
  In xlOpenGui 

After selecting OK, no other dialogs appear and I cannot edit the properties of the Xilinx block...

Just a reminder, here are my specs:

- Freshly reinstalled System Generator 2018.2

- Matlab r2018a

- Windows 10 Desktop

0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

Even if I just try to open up the xlDoc from the Matlab Command Prompt I get the following:

Type xlDoc to open the Xilinx System Generator help documentation.
Type demo blockset xilinx to view the demos available for Xilinx System Generator.
Tip of the day: Learn more about Resource Analyzer.
>> xlDoc
Undefined variable "com" or class "com.xilinx.sysgen.XFixJavaLoader.load".
0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution
I re-ran the System Generator Configurator:
* Remove Matlab R2018a so that it's no longer configured
* Relaunch System Generator Configurator
* Mark Matlab R2018a as configured

After doing the above, I'm no longer seeing the errors and SysGen seems to be working again.

I'm not sure why it needed to be redone...
Observer arve9066
Observer

Jump to solution

I am using System Generator 2018.3 and MATLAB r2017b. Whenever I open the demos from the demo blockset xilinx I get the error

Undefined variable "com" or class "com.xilinx.sysgen.XFixJavaLoader.load".
Error: Unable to obtain waveform database.
Undefined variable "com" or class "com.xilinx.sysgen.XFixJavaLoader.setClassLoader".

Undefined variable "com" or class "com.xilinx.sysgen.XFixJavaLoader.setClassLoader".

Warning: Error evaluating <sldiag objui="callback" objparam="ModelCloseFcn"></sldiag> callback of Xilinx System
Generator Block block (mask) 'sysgenQAM16/ System Generator'.

Warning: Error evaluating <sldiag objui="callback" objparam="ModelCloseFcn"></sldiag> callback of Xilinx System
Generator Block block (mask) 'sysgenADCDAC/ System Generator'.

But if I follow the tutorials given in this link - https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug948-vivado-sysgen-tutorial.pdf - I do not encounter any error. I am not sure what is the reason for the error happening during the demos

0 Kudos