Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

System Generation error when generating with "Synthesized Checkpoint" option

Hello community

We have a huge design in sysGen that is generated correctly in "HDL Netlist" and "IP catalog" options.

But when we try to generate it with "Synthetized Checkpoint", after a very long compilation time it appears 168  error messages like showed above. This is the first one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start Cross Boundary Optimization
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR: [Common 17-223] Fail to read message file F:/MercuryUltra/BoundingBoxes/Target/Synthesized Checkpoint/bounding_boxes.runs/synth_1/.Xil/Vivado-5156-/realtime/tmp/7AE672A0.rtd.pb. Please check permission of the directory and existence of the file.

Please note that F:/MercuryUltra/BoundingBoxes/Target folder is the target directory of SysGen project. Also note that subfolder F:/MercuryUltra/BoundingBoxes/Target/Synthesized Design have a space into. This subfolder is created by SysGen or Vivado and I suspect is part of the problem

Anyone can help?

Best regards

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi @david.quinones

Seems like a folder access permission issue. Can you try and open sysgen 2015.4 with "Run as Administrator" option and try again?

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello @nagabhar

I have executed SysGen 2015.4 as administrator and I obtain the same issues.

I have verified that there is enough disk space (42GB).

For more information I attach vivado.log to the message.

Best regards

David Q

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64394.html

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

"Provide Clock Enable Clear Pin" is unchecked.

This answer record do not seem to be related with this case

Best regards
David Q.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @david.quinones

Can you check if there are any *.rtd.pb files present in 
"F:/MercuryUltra/BoundingBoxes/Target/Synthesized Checkpoint/bounding_boxes.runs/synth_1/.Xil/Vivado-6832-/realtime/tmp/" folder?

Can you please share you sysgen model file here with us? so that we can check it our end?

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello @nagabhar

Folder F:/MercuryUltra/BoundingBoxes/Target/Synthesized Checkpoint/bounding_boxes.runs/synth_1/.Xil/ is empty, so there is no directories or files inside.

Probably, the problem is located at the space in .../Synthesized Checkpoint/... folder. This directory is created by SysGen or Vivado during generation. Historicaly, Xilinx tools had problems with spaces in file paths. Any way to change to a .../Synthesized_Checkpoint/... folder?

The sysgen model is a main part of our whole design and I can´t share it. Sorry. No problem to share log or report files.

Best regards

David Q

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi!

Any news about this bug?

Could I obtain a .cdp file from project generated in the hdl netlist mode?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have the same problem. Any solutions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I just developed the same issue.

I'm developing a set of IP modules for a project and I inadvertently tried to create 67*8 (536) 32-bit registers for my AXI-lite interface.  It should have only been 67+8 (75) registers.  Even though a good number of the registers will not be used/implemented in the design, something in trying to create such a large number of 32-bit registers must have caused the issue to pop-up during synthesis.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I just developed the same issue.

I'm developing a set of IP modules for a project and I inadvertently tried to create 67*8 (536) 32-bit registers for my AXI-lite interface.  It should have only been 67+8 (75) registers.  Even though a good number of the registers will not be used/implemented in the design, something in trying to create such a large number of 32-bit registers must have caused the issue to pop-up during synthesis.

Just to mention this.  I initially replied to the wrong post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

i have the same error message -

when i delete enough of the one large block - i get the error to go away and synthesis completed 

i have tried flat and no heirarchy in the synthesis runs  - but i get the same error message -

Is this a weird error message that is in essence a capacity issue??

i never have more than 10% utilization when the run completes -

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Please check to ensure that you do not have any spaces in your project path and/or Xilinx installation path.  We have confirmed that this can result in this specific error message (ERROR: [Common 17-223] Fail to read message file).

Kind regards,

Quenton

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

You are right

The problem is that SysGen create a folder called "Synthesized Checkpoint" with a space in the middle. I'm suspecting about this fact from the beggining, but I don´t know any way to change this folder name.

Best regards

David Quiñones

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This is bug in sysgen and to workaround generate netlist from sysgen and perform timing in Vivado tool
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Is there a way to change the naming of the generated directory from "Synthesized Checkpoint" to "Synthesized_Checkpoint" by modifing a script in vivado201X.X/Vivado/201X.X/scripts/sysgen/matlab?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

It would be a great step forward!! ;)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I just ran into this same problem using SysGen 2016.1 and a "synthesized checkpoint" output.

However, a small design that I have works through this flow even though the directory that SysGen creates "Synthesized Checkpoint" has a space in it. A larger design that I have causes SysGen to throw an error when it cannot find a particular file several directories down past the "Synthesized Checkpoint" directory.

Given this experience, it doesn't seem like it's the space in the directory name that is causing the error, but something else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

It looks like "Generate" creates all required tcl scripts before starting the vivado batch processes.

Therefore I killed the hanging process, renamed directory "Synthesized Checkpoint" to "Synthesized_Checkpoint" and modified the corresponding variable CustomProjectDir in ProjectGeneration.tcl from "Synthesized Checkpoint" to "Synthesized_Checkpoint". Now the command "source ProjectGeneration.tcl -notrace" (see vivado.jou) finished successfully and generated the desired synthesized checkpoint.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Generated files produced for an IP customization. They can include HDL, constraints, and simulation targets. The XCI file stores the configuration and constraint options that are user-specified during customization. During generation, these customizations are used to produce the files that are used during synthesis and simulation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I reproduced the problem with Vivado 2015.4.

Even the System Generator documentation says that spaces are not allowed (UG897 v2015.4 page 183):

"Note: Be aware that the target_name cannot contain spaces. After the class is created, you can add
spaces to the target_name property of the class."

You can fix it here by changing the target_name property

C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.4\scripts\sysgen\matlab\plugins\compilation\@Synthesized_Checkpoint\Synthesized_Checkpoint.m

Is this fixed in newer versions?