Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

System Generator - Hardware Co-Simulation license error

Hi,

starting recently I have been getting a license error trying to generate the files for a Hardware Co-Simulation out of a System Generator Simulink Model. IP-Generation and resource estimation after implementation work just fine. For testing purposes I use a model that only contains a single adder and three registers.

The error is:

ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command failed: This design contains one or
more cells for which bitstream generation is not permitted:

hwcosim_top_i/temac/tri_mode_ethernet_mac_0/U0/tri_mode_ethernet_mac_i/hwcosim_top_tri_mode_ethernet_mac_0_0_core (tri_mode_ethernet_mac_v9_0_4)

I found the following related thread and related answer.

Using the provided method I was unable to fix the problem: After following all steps the same error reappears.

Checking the license status for the IP core is also unsuccessful, as the following lines entered into the Tcl console while the project is open yield:

set dp_ips [get_cells -hierarchical {tri_mode_ethernet_mac_v9_0_4*}]
set dp_ips [get_cells -hierarchical {hwcosim_top_tri_mode_ethernet_mac_0_0_core*}]

set dp_ips [get_cells -hierarchical {tri_mode_ethernet_mac_v9_0_4*}]
ERROR: [Common 17-53] User Exception: No open design. Please open an elaborated, synthesized or implemented design before executing this command.
set dp_ips [get_cells -hierarchical {hwcosim_top_tri_mode_ethernet_mac_0_0_core*}]
ERROR: [Common 17-53] User Exception: No open design. Please open an elaborated, synthesized or implemented design before executing this command.

My system has multiple Vivado versions and floating licenses installed. No changes to the licenses or installations have been made in the months before the error appeared.

I'm using:

System Generator 2016.1
Matlab 8.6.0.267246 (R2015b) 
Vivado 2016.1

See the attached screenshot for a look at the license manager.

I can provide additional information like the license file and the result of the Tcl command "report_environment -file xinfo.txt", but due to company policies I can only provide them directly to xilinx or upload an encrypted archive and send the password via private message.

xilinx_2016_licenses.png
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jlhx ,

Are you using any Trimode Ethernet IP in the Sysgen design ? The Tri mode Ethernet MAC IP needs an additional license for bit-stream generation,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @vkanchan,

I have attached a screenshot of the complete System Generator Simulink model and the settings for the generation of the Hw-Cosim files. It could be that the automatic generated wrapper internally uses additional IP-cores, but I don't have any insight into this process, as it is fully automatic and should be covered by our licenses. Additionally generating a Hw-Cosim bitstream has never been an issue in the past.

Is there any way I could send you the license file and xinfo.txt in a non-public manner?

SysGenHwCosim.PNG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I might have figured out why it worked before and does currently not work anymore:

All previous Hw-Cosim compilations were done in the office. Since the pandemic started this was the first time a Hw-Cosim compilation was started via Windows remote desktop (host is the same machine in the office). Now back at office the compilation seems to work again.

Is there any way to fix or circumvent this issue? Also, a more meaningful error message would help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jlhx ,

Thank you for sharing the screenshot of the design. It can be clearly identified that the error observed is due to missing license of the Trimode Ethernet MAC IP used in the Ethernet Co-simulation.

So I assume that the Sysgen compilation command is executed on the same machine in office and the command issued over remote connection and the HW Co-Sim has failed. 

I am not sure why this should be an issue, if the system is the same and it includes all the licenses.

I will try to get a license expert involved to check the license files. Meanwhile could you retry the procedure after deleting the Sysgen IP cache shown by the below MATLAB command in console and let me know the result.

"xilinx.environment.getipcachepath"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @vkanchan,

I did the following tests:

Test No.System Generator ModelHost-MachineRemote MachineHardware Co-Simulation
1accelTest.slxoffice PC 1-works
2accelTest.slxoffice PC 1office PC 2 (same Network, Remote Desktop)does not work
3accelTest.slxoffice PC 1home PC (VPN, Remote Desktop)does not work

As mentioned above, all other compilations (e.g. IP-Core) work fine in all cases. Interestingly it seems that Vivado seems to be aware that a remote desktop connection has been established. If no remote Desktop is used xinfo.txt contains:

COMPUTERNAME=OFFICEPC1

In case of a remote desktop connection:

CLIENTNAME=HOMEPC

COMPUTERNAME=OFFICEPC1

Regarding "xilinx.environment.getipcachepath", I receive the following Matlab error:

The class xilinx.environment has no Constant property or Static method named
'getipcachepath'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @jlhx ,

I can see you are still using Activation Based licensing.

Please note that the Activation licensing flow has been deprecated and has be completely removed in Vivado 2017.3 and newer Vivado releases. I know you are still using 2016.1, however since there were issues with Activation Based licensing, it is recommended for you to re-generate these licenses as Certificate Based licenses and then start the floating license server as instructed in UG973

Your licensing issue should be addressed then.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos