UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Generator for DSP crashes Matlab while compiling netlist

Hi,

I have Matlab 2010a Student Edition and Xilinx ISE 13.3 which I upgraded from 13.1 that came with the Virtex-6 FPGA ML605 Evaluation Kit from Avnet (i.e. node-locked license).  My environment is Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit running on a HP Elitebook 8440p core i5 quad core with 4GB RAM and a SSD.  

I had to manually install the 32-bit ISE as my Matlab is 32-bit.

The problem I have is that system generator for DSP simulates fine with no problems - I get the notification that the compiler is running and then the simulation runs OK.

BUT, if I try to co-sim or in any way run the HDL compiler I get the 'compilation starting' pop-up and immediately Matlab crashes and burns.  This happens for every model including the basic lab exercises in sysgen /examples directory.  No logs - apart from useless 'there has been an internal error 0001' sysgen_error log.

So.  I ran Windows Error Reporting and obtained a core dump (attached).  I also ran Process Monitor from sys utils on it and get this event immediately before the crash :

MATLAB.exe RegOpenKey HKCU\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager NAME NOT FOUND

As I understand it, Matlab Student Edition does not contain the FLEXlm license manager?  I don't know if this is the cause of the crash but that is the last event before it goes phut.

Anyone any ideas?

Brian.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: System Generator for DSP crashes Matlab while compiling netlist

- Are you able to generate a bitstream from SysGen (instead of Co-Sim) ?

- Make SURE to start SysGen from the start menu, not just matlab/simulink.

- Have a look at the resulting file from running the 'xldiagnosticinfo' command in a matlab prompt (after starting sysgen correctly). See if anything looks funny, such as incorrect ISE/matlab versions, missing licenses, missing/strange environment variables, paths with spaces or funny characters.

- Where is your TMP and TEMP variables pointing?

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot run a bitstream either.

I always start SysGen from the Xilinx start menu alright.

That diagnostic command shows up these items which I'm not sure indicate anything abnormal:

Unable to open SysGen\fileset.txt for reading!

DriverInstaller->ImagePath=\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\xpc4drvr.sys.
File version of C:\Windows\system32\drivers\xpc4drvr.sys is 1040.
File version of C:\Xilinx\13.3\ISE_DS\common\bin\nt\xpc4drvr.sys is 1040.
File version of C:\Windows\system32\drivers\xpc4drvr.sys is 1040.
Driver xpc4drvr.sys version = 1.0.4.0.
DriverInstaller->XilinxPC4Driver is running.
Error occurred during driver installation.

Both TMP and TEMP are pointing at C:\TEMP

The only other thing is the reported disk serial number in the Xilinx node locked license does not match the HDD serial number I get if I run Windows WMI Object Browser  - the WMI Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0".SerialNumber

I did move the install from my old laptop to the one its on now.  But I thought it automatically figured out the new HDD serial number (my new HDD is a solid state disk if that matters).

0 Kudos

Actually I think I was looking at the wrong parameter:

The Win32_LogicalDisk.DeviceID="C:".SerialNumber matches (apart from capitalization).  

0 Kudos

But.

Xilinx License Configuration Manager indicates "No" in the 'Host Id matches' column.

If I run lmutil it indicates that the license is OK:

C:\Xilinx\13.3\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt>lmutil lmdiag -c c:\.Xilinx\Xilinx.lic
lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2008 Acresso Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
FLEXnet diagnostics on Wed 1/11/2012 12:46

-----------------------------------------------------
License file: c:\.Xilinx\Xilinx.lic
"XC6VLX240T_Logic_Edition" v2012.09, vendor: xilinxd
uncounted nodelocked license, locked to Disk serial number "DISK_SERIAL_NUM=28b90035" no expiration date

TS_OK: Checkout permitted when client is using terminal client

This is the correct node for this node-locked license

Now the disk serial number reported by WMI has a captal 'B' for that serial number.  Does this mean it is licensed OK or not?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@buckley.brian@gmail.com wrote:
But I thought it automatically figured out the new HDD serial number

This is generally not the case. You need to re-host your license on the licensing site at xilinx.com

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

OK.  So investigating this further I notice that my Disk Serial Number in the license Host Id is NOT the real manufacturers HDD Serial number but the C-Drive partition VOLUME SERIAL NUMBER that is generated by the OS.  The volume serial number is just a label AFAIK and it is the actual HDD serial number that is the unique hard-coded one.

Btw, I found this using the Windows Management Instrumentation Object Browser tool.

So.  It makes sense to generate a new license file using the real HDD serial number, right?  So I log into Product Licensing and go to modify my license with the correct HDD serial number.  When I type it in I get an error "You must specify a valid disk serial number".  So now I'm pulling my hair out!  I've found that the Host ID Value textbox dynamically validates what you type in as you type it in and it only accepts numbers 0-9 and letters a-f - aha! - its looking for a hexidecimal value right?

Now the only hexidecimal label is the volume serial number.  Can you confirm that it is this volume serial number that Xilinx use and not the real manufacturers HDD serial nummber?

Assuming that is the case I am now in a situation where I DO have a correct Host Id value but the License Configuration Manager still says it does not match.

Any ideas why - e.g. is it case-sensitive?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

FWIW, I have always used MAC address to generate licenses and have never had any problem. Is that not an option for you?

C:>ipconfig /all

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connecti
on
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 11-22-33-44-55-66
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

@buckley.brian@gmail.com wrote:

OK.  So investigating this further I notice that my Disk Serial Number in the license Host Id is NOT the real manufacturers HDD Serial number but the C-Drive partition VOLUME SERIAL NUMBER that is generated by the OS.  The volume serial number is just a label AFAIK and it is the actual HDD serial number that is the unique hard-coded one.

Btw, I found this using the Windows Management Instrumentation Object Browser tool.

So.  It makes sense to generate a new license file using the real HDD serial number, right?  So I log into Product Licensing and go to modify my license with the correct HDD serial number.  When I type it in I get an error "You must specify a valid disk serial number".  So now I'm pulling my hair out!  I've found that the Host ID Value textbox dynamically validates what you type in as you type it in and it only accepts numbers 0-9 and letters a-f - aha! - its looking for a hexidecimal value right?

Now the only hexidecimal label is the volume serial number.  Can you confirm that it is this volume serial number that Xilinx use and not the real manufacturers HDD serial nummber?

Assuming that is the case I am now in a situation where I DO have a correct Host Id value but the License Configuration Manager still says it does not match.

Any ideas why - e.g. is it case-sensitive?

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

XLCM should show you what your Host ID is (at the bottom, it displays your C drive serial number).

Or, as Jim said, you can lock the license to your NIC if you prefer that.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

See the screenshot of my XLCM - note the stated serial number matches the host id but it still says 'No' in Host Id Matches?

... I'll try the MAC address approach.

Many thanks,

Brian.

xlcm-says-no.png
0 Kudos

I amended the license to use the network address instead of HDD volume serial number and now it looks ok - XLCM reports Yes for Host Id match - weird?

Unfortunately this looks like a red herring as my fundamantal problem is still there - Matlab crashes as soon as the sysgen compiler starts up.

So I tried a few things.  First, I tried a more recent Java release than the one that comes bundled with Matlab.  No change.

So I reverted back to the bundled java version and ran Process Monitor on both Matlab.exe and java.exe (looks like Matlab forks a new JVM to run sysgen in).  Because of the huge volume of information generated by Process Monitor I only started it immediatly before I click the 'Generate' button in the sysgen UI (see screenshot).

I have attached the Process Monitor log here.  Could someone please take a look at it to see if anything is obvious - I can't seems to be able to run JConsole on the forked JVM - I ran it on Matlab.exe and it shows nothing - plenty of heap left at crash time, etc - the windows debugger says Matlab.exe crashed as a result of a heap corruption.  So I'm guessing it is the forked JVM that is causing the crash?

The log shows the forked JVM communicating with matlab.exe over a TCP/IP socket prior to the crash.  The last thing to happen is matlab.exe querying the license file so I wonder is there still some strange issue going on there?

Many thanks guys.

Brian.

sysgen-ui.png
0 Kudos

Here is the Process Monitor log - thought the CSV format is best to search through.

0 Kudos

Digging around further, I see that Xilinx ISE 13.3 also has it's own version of Java - actually 2 Java distributions, an old 1.5 and a 1.6.  The Xilinx 1.6 JRE is a later version than the Matlab 1.6 JRE.

But looking at the Process Monitor I can only see Matlab's java.exe being run - does sysgen run in Matlab's JRE or the ISE one(s)?  I do however see the Xilinx Java client DLL getting run - is this running sysgen.jar or what - could different java versions be the cause of this?

Thanks,

Brian.

0 Kudos

Anyone any ideas on this?  Its driving me nuts!

Can someone please verify if MATLAB 2010a or later STRDENT EDITION actually works with the Sysgen compiler at all???

0 Kudos
Visitor stewienz
Visitor

Hello,

Using ISE 13.4, Matlab 2010b (using 2011a I get a error as opposed to a straight crash), same board, I get the same problem.

~Stewie 

/Edit, I fixed my problem, opening system generator from the start menu as opposed to opening matlab seems to do the trick. You seem to have to regenerate hwcosim blocks every time you reopen matlab though. 

0 Kudos

Well, well, WELL!

I finally have this working.  BUT only by installing a 30-day evaluation copy of Xilinx full system.  It seems that the M605 board my college paid THOUSANDS for from Avnet does NOT have a full system generator license.  WTF use is an FPGA board without the means to program it? 

And WTF is Xilinx doing by not simply notifying the user that they can't generate code instead of f***ing CRASHING!!.

Jeeze, this has to be the WORST example of poor product that I have ever come across in my entire life.  And btw, I am a part-time doctoral student - my day-job is a software architect.  If my software behaved like this I would get fired!

Thanks for wasting over 2 months of my time Xilinx!

Avnet can take this piece of crap back!

0 Kudos