UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Unable to send data out to DAC board from FPGA using hardware co simulation

Hi,

I am trying to interface a DAC board with a ml605 fgpa. My system basically takes input ( sine or QAM signals ) from Simulink, passes through a block which has few complex multiplication, addition, and then needs to be sent out via the DAC.

But, when I do it on system generator, I am not able to send the data out of the fpga to the DAC via non memory mapped ports!

Is there a way in which I can just load the data to fpga and instead of using co simulation, I could just send the data out to the DAC board normally.

Also any help with respect to using co simulation itself to do this work will be great!

Thanks,
Basil

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Unable to send data out to DAC board from FPGA using hardware co simulation

Check th ucf file . you may not assigned proper pin to send the  data to DAC. 

You can generate the sinsoid using DDS core and send to DAC .

In this case you no need to use simulink

You may just use counter and assign output of counter to DAC for testing .

you must see ramp from DAC

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

Yes, I tried the UCF file. I am generating OBUFDS for four ports, which are of one bit width and they are generated fine!

I use OBUFDS for the data coming out of the fpga to DAC, which is 16 bit width. On opening .ncd file in FPGA editor, I found that the data pins are mapped to pins which are different from the UCF file given!

Also, these data pins only are not visible in the netlist/jtagcosim_top.ucf file generated!

Why could such a thing happen?

Thanks a lot,

Basil

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

If you are using 16bit width output then you need to specify 16 pin locations for the NMM ports.

Are you doing this?

Can you post the model and the UCF.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I was just about to post this update! For a change, last night, I just tried using 16 different pins and port mapped! That worked!!!

Earlier, when I did using 16 bit width buses - the .ncd file showed that the pins were getting mapped to some other LOCs.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I was able to solve the issue of generating differential ports for the DAC board. I tested by generating sine wave inside the FPGA ( using a LUT based DDS ), and sent it out to the DAC - I was able to obtain a sine waveform at the output of the DAC.

I am now trying to send a sine wave from Simulink to the FPGA to DAC board. But, I am not getting any waveform at the output of the DAC board. Anyone has any comments on what all things should I worry about in this simple implementation?

Thanks,

Basil.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer s_aelsok
Observer

Hi Basil,

it might be that you are not using free running clock on the FPGA. 

check this maybe it helps: 

http://china.origin.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1031.pdf

best regards,

Ahmed.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I don't know if it will help. Still I would like to attach the model I am using. And also, a screenshot.

In the model, I use sinewave source from Simulink -> Black Box (which generates sync, fifo_istr signals needed for dac, data_clk for dac, and latches the incoming data and sends out) -> NMM ports ( namely io_da15, io_da14... io_da0 ).

I also am taking the data output pins of the black box to a concatenate block, so that I can see the 16 bit data on a scope on the Simulink.

In the figure I am attaching, top plot = output of the concat block ; bottom plot = sine wave that goes into the black box!

The NMM ports have been port mapped to the DAC board pins, and I am not getting any waveform whatsoever on the output side of the DAC !

@s_aelsok  : Hi Ahmed, I also tried free running clock. It did not have any effect.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions and help,

Basil.

concat.png
0 Kudos